Auto folding mirror mod

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Hi, hw2 version needs 12v wire from battery so it isnt PLUG and PLAY device like HW1. But at the moment only hw1 and hw1R (for UK models) is available because at the moment there is small interrest about hw2 and hw3 version.

BTW: HW1R - UK version is available now

whats diffrence between Hw1/hw1r/hw2/hw3??

i want my mirrors to go up adn down when i lock/unlock the car, and still be able to use the switch.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that this has been already sorted out:- HW1 is the basic LHD version which works from ignition ON/OFF, HW1R is for UK market, ie RHD, HW2 and HW3 are enhanced versions that work off the remote control but due to lack of interest so far, have not been put into production, so as it stands there will not ever be an HW2R or HW3R.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Contact explorer by PM he sent me a video on how the hw3 will work if it ever gets into production.

I will probably buy one just dont know shich one yet.

Last edited:

Rick-24

Feb 24, 2005
Yeah I want the either hw2 or 3. C'mon people get inquiring so it goes into production ;):p

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
My thanks to explorer.
My pcb arrived yesterday and is now fitted.
It does exactly as it should and now my mirrors fold automatically now being controlled by the ignition switch

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My thanks to explorer.
It does exactly as it should and now my mirrors fold automatically now being controlled by the ignition switch

Good! Any comments on how easy/difficult it was to remove the mirror control switch/panel?

I think that I was probably the second person to order a UK one, so mine should be arriving soon!

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Mine was order no 3 so yours should be with you soon.
Very easy to fit, the panel just flips out with a small plastic spatula. The pcb is easy to install I just needed to shave a bit off one short side of the recess that the original plug fitted into to ensure that the plug on the pcb seated fully on the switch socket.
Took all of 5 minutes from start to finish

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Its not difficult to remove.
As jonial said with a spatula and try not to force it.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Mine was order no 3 so yours should be with you soon.
Very easy to fit, the panel just flips out with a small plastic spatula. The pcb is easy to install I just needed to shave a bit off one short side of the recess that the original plug fitted into to ensure that the plug on the pcb seated fully on the switch socket.
Took all of 5 minutes from start to finish

I've just had an update to say that Royal Mail received my delivery 2/09/17 into Heathrow, so how long did you wait for it to escape into the national delivery network and to you?

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
My thanks to explorer.

Thanks for feedback :)

I've just had an update to say that Royal Mail received my delivery 2/09/17 into Heathrow, so how long did you wait for it to escape into the national delivery network and to you?

Hi, I think it will be delivered this week. I have check another tracking and there is only 2 records ARRIVED IN THE UK and DELIVERED

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks for feedback :)

Hi, I think it will be delivered this week. I have check another tracking and there is only 2 records ARRIVED IN THE UK and DELIVERED

Yes, I like using Royal Mail, but they are bad at not updating the status of tracked mail, a bit annoying when you are just interested to see where and when mail is!

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I know I'm not UK, but I can tell my experience, because explorer is inside the UE you should receive it very soon...
here usually when bougth inside the UE it is delivered the next business day after arriving the country.
outside UE could take up to one month depending on luck

Last edited:

explorer

Jul 8, 2016
Hi explorer do you have news if there will be otther versions?

Hi at the moment still small interrest but I am thinking about redesigning hw2,3 in order to fit for more models (ibiza 6j, polo 6r and another cars on pq25 platform)

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Hi at the moment still small interrest but I am thinking about redesigning hw2,3 in order to fit for more models (ibiza 6j, polo 6r and another cars on pq25 platform)
I'm interested in the hw3 if it will work by a single click.
If it is by a long click then I will go for the hw1.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay I have now fitted this new module and it works as intended!

Just a couple of points for anyone that is a bit cautious about fitting things into their cars, I tried to remove the switch by using (cheap) plastic tools from a "mobile phone repair kit" - that was a very bad idea as in the Northern UK ambient temperatures, the car's plastic is quite hard and I broke the end off my plastic tool I used, so I reverted to using stronger plastic tools from my "car trim removal kit" and that worked very well. After fitting the module, I checked its operation and starting from after fitting this module, mirrors unfolded, mirror switch in "0" position, I switched on the ignition > mirrors partially folded and then unfolded, ignition off > mirrors did not fold. So, with the ignition off, I locked the car, then unlocked it, switched ignition on - unfolded mirrors did not move this time (good), switched the ignition off - mirrors folded. So don't panic if this module does not operate as you had expected initially, it will do maybe after locking and unlocking the car - or maybe, if I had folded the mirrors before fitting this module it would have worked immediately, I'd guess that this controller's logic needs to get into the correct initial state - that is all.

Well now that daughter has just been given her birthday present, though I might add an early oil change to avoid doing that job in December when the temperature will be a lot lower!!

Edit:- I'm not sure that I know how this mod will affect the spiders that are living in these mirrors though, I've blasted them with freezer spray a few times but days later new webs appear!

Another Edit:- now that I've read the "Controller Logic" notes on the installation guide, I'd reckon that step "3" covers the reason why this mod did not work from first ignition on. Normally I do read all instructions before I do anything as I'm a retired test engineer - but this time well ---- !!!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.