2014 Ibiza cupra headlight washers not working

Jamesenty

Sep 5, 2016
Headlight washers aren’t working and don’t really know if they have worked since I’ve owned the car, are they fed from their own pump or do they just rely on the pressure of the windscreen washers being turned on?
I have taken them out and apart and fluid is free flowing to them but just doesn’t come out when trying to use them, any clues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
They should have their own high pressure pump, so maybe find that and see if it is still running.

Edit:- well what I meant was to try to locate it to see if it is still able to make a noise, then if it is, is it still pumping water but out onto the road and not into the sprayer assemblies.

Last edited:

Jamesenty

Sep 5, 2016
I think trying to find it would be a front bumper off job which I can’t be assed doing yet I’d rather test the fuse first if anybody knows which fuse it is and then look for the pump, start with the basics

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I had to find that pump on my old 2000 VW Passat 4Motion as it had rusted up and failed after about 8 years. I think that I found it on my wife's 2002 VW Polo, just in case, but it gave no trouble over 13 years and 105K miles.

I think that you should find it near the fluid container, so that will probably mean taking the wheel arch liner out. I'll have a look at the Polo 6R Haynes book I have to see if it gets mentioned at all in it.

Jamesenty

Sep 5, 2016
Yeah let me know if you find anything, I’m upgrading my brakes soon so il be more inclined to stripping things off it then while it’s already jacked up!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You could be right about needing to take the bumper off, that pump and the other one will be mounted directly on to the fluid reservoir, though maybe you can reach it from below with the under cover off.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
out of curiosity, I'm guessing you know that the headlight washers only work, if the bi-Xenons are switched on, and they work once every 5 or so pulls of the winscreen washer stalk...usually followed by a huge 'zzzzzzz' sound. When they do work, it's obvious that they work as these tend to come on before the windscreen jets do, and makes everythign in front wet!

Also checked if fuse is working? I once saw a function on carista that can 'disable' this...played around with that at all?

Just my 2 cents, it could be completely kaputt!

Jamesenty

Sep 5, 2016
out of curiosity, I'm guessing you know that the headlight washers only work, if the bi-Xenons are switched on, and they work once every 5 or so pulls of the winscreen washer stalk...usually followed by a huge 'zzzzzzz' sound. When they do work, it's obvious that they work as these tend to come on before the windscreen jets do, and makes everythign in front wet!

Also checked if fuse is working? I once saw a function on carista that can 'disable' this...played around with that at all?

Just my 2 cents, it could be completely kaputt!

I could do with finding out which fuse it is I don’t know the fuse layout!
Yes I’ve tried it with the headlights on and I thought it says in the manual after 5 seconds of holding back the yoke to use the windscreen washers they will start??

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yes I’ve tried it with the headlights on and I thought it says in the manual after 5 seconds of holding back the yoke to use the windscreen washers they will start??

from my experirence on 2016 Ibiza with Bi-xenon is the 1st wash (1st pull of level), the washers (Headlight) come on automatically, and there after the 5th or 6th one. No need to wait 5 secs.

That first pull, the headlights wash come up instantly, followed by the windscreen 1-2 secs later. Most of the time, my wipers would move before enough water has been sprayed on windscreen.

I'm not sure about the fuse diagrams, but I can tell you it's just below the headlight switch, you can pull the cover off, check if any fuses have 'popped'

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.