Blown my door speakers - Need advice on replacments

JadeDin

Oct 31, 2017
What a place to put a cupholder.. £2 cup of coffee and a back road with potholes has cost me a Pioneer head unit and blown the speakers!

I know this car is based around the Audi A3 + Golf mk4 and the same as a Toledo..

If I'm going to breakers hunting does anyone know if the speakers out of these are compatible with the leon?
Or any other Seat models I can look for with the same speakers?

I have to say the original speakers sounded great for standard and many passengers were surprised they were the standard ones. Plus looking at the mounting and way they have separate tweaters id imagine it'll be harder to fit aftermarket parts?

Any advice on this would be great. I do lots of driving and its no fun without audio :(

Dowson1993

Jan 20, 2017
Mk4 Golf and a3 should be okay for size and fitment if I remember rightly as for the tweeters of you go aftermarket I run vibe black airs with there tweeters it works and they sit in fine no issues I rewired the plug from the std tweeters to my new ones then pushed them into the factory mount and hot glue gunned any points that mated with the new speakers just for security done this about 6 months ago with the intention of glass fibering them in place but never got round to it and it’s never been an issue to really both doing it I will take a photo at the weekend to show you what I mean but it really isn’t a bad job replacing the factory tweeters I done it in around half an hour on 2 doors including removing the door card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dowson1993

Jan 20, 2017
Also for aftermarket speakers autoleads do a mount and harness to avoid snipping the plug for the factory speakers

JadeDin

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks!

I haven't been able to test with another HU but there might be a change some of the tweaters survived as that's all I could hear when it first blew. I'll need to get a multimeter on them to be sure though

Ive had the doors apart before to fix the water leak problem so have a rough idea what I'm doing

That's a great help if those other models have the same speakers. I was worried it'd be hard to find another leon at a local breakers so the more cars I know I can get them from the better :)

So that makes Leon mk1, Toledo, A3, Golf mk4, Bora? What about Skodas?

JadeDin

Oct 31, 2017
I have some speakers if you need them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks. I may be in touch this weekend after ive checked exactly which are blown. I'm guessing all the main speakers but not sure on the tweeters.

I need to go to a breakers for a few other bits but if I don't have any luck i'll let you know. PM me how much you'd want for them with postage please

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I actually break Leons so feel free to drop me a message with a list of stuff you want and I may be able to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
You need the speakers from a Leon. The Golf ones are the same part number but don't have the built in crossover next to the multi-plug. It's this crossover that allows the speakers to perform as well as they do. A Golf system is nowhere near as good. You'll also need a rivet gun to replace them.

Dowson1993

Jan 20, 2017
Don’t nessicarily need a rivet gun can use the tab nuts or self tapping screws

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Don’t nessicarily need a rivet gun can use the tab nuts or self tapping screws

There's a lip on the speaker aperture and the speaker itself is plastic welded into the mount, preventing you from getting your hand round the back. Rivets are the best solution, as per factory fit. I wouldn't be keen on using self tapping screws, that's just bodgetastic ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.