Misfire under hard acceleration

Preedyfella

Oct 23, 2016
Hereford
Hi all, so this is a long post, so grab you self a drink an sit back

I'm looking for a bit of advice on my 2004 APX 225 stage 2 Cupra yep (APX engine)

Firstly I have to let you guys know I'm fairly new to mechanic's so
The problem:
I've been having issues with splutter/misfires under hard acceleration through 4kRPM (doesn't matter which gear) and even in neutral etc. but as soon as you ease off it resolves itself an when eased on the acceleration will top the rev's

Its a bit like gmjgreg7 proplem but I have no error codes no warning light apart from I get the noise like when the fuel is low?

Now story behind the engine swop:

I was given a 2004 1.8T FR cupra with a AUQ engine which the engine was shot I was looking at getting a BAM engine but was offered a APX with only 60k for penny and assured it would fit.
Now the guy wasn't wrong it fitted lol anyway as I knew little about the engines and looms I started to buy bits,Stage 2 Carbon Kevlar Clutch, 2lt coil pack converter, 007 tip,Ramair Intake Induction kit,FMIC Kit,new MAF sensor,Forge Motorsport Silicone Induction Hose, 4 bar fuel pump,spark plugs etc the list goes on.

anyway due to my lack of knowledge I fitted it all in and was told I would need a BAM ecu with the VVT deleted as the APX engine don't have it anyway I did this got a BAM ecu had it mapped and the vvt deleted running off the old AUQ loom but I get that misfire splutter/misfires under hard acceleration at 4k rpm.

I have been told I should of swopped heads AUQ onto the APX as its big port but as the cupra is running ok apart from that was just wondering if they is something else i could do?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Had this...no issue running about below 3k, soon as I put it down it sputtered and popped till the coil pack went finally and thrown a code/eml showing what cylinder it was. Three days later another one went. Been fine since replacing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Preedyfella

Oct 23, 2016
Hereford
Thanks for the reply

I was thinking coil packs a friend told me to get the 2lt coil pack so I got a new ECS Tuning 2.0T Coil Pack Conversion Kit and 4 new Bosch Super Spark Plugs It has made a slight deference but still have the issues
what coil packs would you recommend?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Thanks for the reply

I was thinking coil packs a friend told me to get the 2lt coil pack so I got a new ECS Tuning 2.0T Coil Pack Conversion Kit and 4 new Bosch Super Spark Plugs It has made a slight deference but still have the issues
what coil packs would you recommend?
Bosch coil pack from euro or any other seller. Have you had a compression test done?

Preedyfella

Oct 23, 2016
Hereford
Yes had compression test done and it was fine, the one thing that got me thing is since I put the ramair Intake Induction hose on it sounds like its sucking a load of air in, now i know that's what they are for but this you can hear from inside the car, is this normal for the ramair kit ? Just wondering if that had something to do with it?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Yes had compression test done and it was fine, the one thing that got me thing is since I put the ramair Intake Induction hose on it sounds like its sucking a load of air in, now i know that's what they are for but this you can hear from inside the car, is this normal for the ramair kit ? Just wondering if that had something to do with it?
Not sure about ram air but yes I hear loads more with my cone slapped on it

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise