LED headlight, help needed! Sparkie?? or anyone..

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
So i think im gunna go the led route, but where should i buy from? ebay or is there a place like HIDS4u where i can get good quality ones?

do i need to modify the headlight covers?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi
No need to modify the covers. They fit strait in. You pull the flat disc part off. Fit that then slide led in. Job done. Lots of choice on eBay. Really happy with mine. My step son has followed suit.

Side lights.
on eBay search

2x CREE W5W T10 501 LED wedge car bulbs SIDE LIGHT INTERIOR WHITE 6000K HID LEDs.
That’s the side lights.

TXVSO8 H1 LED Headlight Bulbs...
High beam on amazon

Dipped beam. H7 I believe. As below.
0442a7c531b7fa8d55289c78e8040ab3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
I just fitted a full set of Nighteye brand ones from ebay. I was warned away from the super cheap ones you can find.

Really well packaged, really well made, nice connectors etc.

Arrived in 2 days and I am really happy with the performance so far.

Huge improvement over the original bulbs. Literally Night and Day :D

These are the ones I got:

Side Light LEDs = £4.95 (Ebay LINK)
Dipped Beam H7 - Nighteye LED Bulbs - 72w / 9000lm / 6500k = £21.29 (Ebay LINK)
Main Beam H1 - Nighteye LED Bulbs - 72w / 9000lm / 6500k = £20.99 (Ebay LINK)

Total cost was £47.23. Took about 10 minutes to fit all 6. Really happy with the results.

Gave the glass a polish at the same time. Super sexy.

Hope that helps buddy.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I bought H7 Philips LUXEON ZES Headlight Kit - 6000K 4000 Lumens from ebay, they were £50 and fit nicely within the plastic covers at the rear of the lights. The light pattern is spot on and reaches a very good distance for LED (Nearly the distance of the nightbreakers they replaced), I would recommend them.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
I bought H7 Philips LUXEON ZES Headlight Kit - 6000K 4000 Lumens from ebay, they were £50 and fit nicely within the plastic covers at the rear of the lights. The light pattern is spot on and reaches a very good distance for LED (Nearly the distance of the nightbreakers they replaced), I would recommend them.

I also bought these 2 years ago and it still lights whole damn thing that came across my headlight :p

Very pleased with them. Also don't go for fan cooler type. Always fanless cooper heatsink.

Regards

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
No worries buddy. Hope it helps.

Yeah, I need to look into my foglights also. Things have not worked since I purchased the car :(

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
The switches on the dashboard are prone to wearing out, (just in case your fogs won't switch on). You just pull out the unit and disconnect & replace it as a whole. My last Leon had this & it was only the fogs which suffered. Thanks again.

Ginger Si

Jan 31, 2017
Bury
Hi
No need to modify the covers. They fit strait in. You pull the flat disc part off. Fit that then slide led in. Job done. Lots of choice on eBay. Really happy with mine. My step son has followed suit.

Side lights.
on eBay search

2x CREE W5W T10 501 LED wedge car bulbs SIDE LIGHT INTERIOR WHITE 6000K HID LEDs.
That’s the side lights.

TXVSO8 H1 LED Headlight Bulbs...
High beam on amazon

Dipped beam. H7 I believe. As below.
0442a7c531b7fa8d55289c78e8040ab3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi just as a small note regarding these, I bought them for my MK1 and sadly although they are very bright and cast a lot of light on the road they caused loads of interference with my radio signal to the point that I've taken them out. I'm in the process of returning them now after less than 8 hours of having them.

A real shame but there you go, I'll probably change them for a HID kit or nightbreakers/mtec bulbs

Ginger Si

Jan 31, 2017
Bury
I just fitted a full set of Nighteye brand ones from ebay. I was warned away from the super cheap ones you can find.

Really well packaged, really well made, nice connectors etc.

Arrived in 2 days and I am really happy with the performance so far.

Huge improvement over the original bulbs. Literally Night and Day :D

These are the ones I got:

Side Light LEDs = £4.95
Dipped Beam H7 - Nighteye LED Bulbs - 72w / 9000lm / 6500k = £21.29 Main Beam H1 - Nighteye LED Bulbs - 72w / 9000lm / 6500k = £20.99

Total cost was £47.23. Took about 10 minutes to fit all 6. Really happy with the results.

Gave the glass a polish at the same time. Super sexy.

Hope that helps buddy.

Out of interest did the nighteye led's cause any radio interference??

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
Hi Buddy,

No, not for me at all. I just have a normal radio though, not DAB. Although not sure if that makes a difference.

Jonnyaye

Nov 14, 2017
Belfast
The switches on the dashboard are prone to wearing out, (just in case your fogs won't switch on). You just pull out the unit and disconnect & replace it as a whole. My last Leon had this & it was only the fogs which suffered. Thanks again.

hi mate, are the foglight bulbs h3? Just to confirm before I replace mine

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Why not fan cooler? what difference does it make?

Well as stated before it may:
-causes interferences with radio/GPS (guess the quality of the ballasts also gains aspect here).
-it drains more power from battery because fans are always spinning.
-it makes a humming noise. Became louder and the lifespan is short. So if the fan stops it means overheating.

That is why they are normaly cheaper than the fanless versions.

Regards

Ginger Si

Jan 31, 2017
Bury
Hi Buddy,

No, not for me at all. I just have a normal radio though, not DAB. Although not sure if that makes a difference.

Neither do I although it is an aftermarket stereo, I may try some nighteyes then, did yours fit alright on the driver side as I found that the ones I got were a squeeze.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Neither do I although it is an aftermarket stereo, I may try some nighteyes then, did yours fit alright on the driver side as I found that the ones I got were a squeeze.

Another aspect is the size. The fan series can be larger and be a pain to get the cover closed.
Also the fans can't be taken out or changed.

Usually the fanless version have a smaller heat sink. It also can be plugged into two positions so it can fit proprely inside the headlight case.

Regards.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members