Alternator?

jopo001

May 21, 2014
Hi guys,

Battery light has been on for last week now, on longer drives it does sometimes go off, did this all of last winter then stopped coming up as weather got warmer.

This morning on way to work the battery light was still on then the abs and airbag light came on for a few seconds then went off, then they came back on again and the interior lights dimmed and the radio started to go on and off just as i pulled into work.

I assume its the alternator thats to blame? Or are there any other things it could be? Car is an 03 leon cupra

Thanks for any input

JP

jopo001

May 21, 2014
Was also looking on ecp and theres a number of different fitments, how do i know which is right? Its an aircon car. Auq engine, the option seem to be connector and amp 70, 90 and 120 amp

Last edited:

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
You need to check what is at fault first.

Batteries don't like cold weather but get a multimeter and test your battery first. It should show a good 12v ideally around the high 12 mark. Make sure you test with nothing drawing on it, interior light on, radio etc. best if you can disconnect it.

Now turn the engine on and the reading should jump to around 14v, if so the alternator is doing it's job.

However I would check for good connections on the Alternator and the leads to the fuse and battery., check all are tight and no corrosion is evident.

Last edited:

jopo001

May 21, 2014
Thanks for reply, got a multimeter on it and confirmed it was the alternator, got one from ecp for 100 quid since they had a nice 35% off code. Swapped them out inside of an hour and working again woop woop

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.