Leaks in rear footwells

Suz

Feb 15, 2017
Dorset
Sorry to be a pain, I'm new to the whole fixing things on your car yourself.
So I've got two extremely wet rear footwells in my Leon MK1. No sign of leakage anywhere other than when I open the doors in the morning(when it's rained) there is often some water that leaks out.
It's not wet in the front two footwells. However the front two doors collect water too.
I have no idea what to do other than lift up the carpet and see if there's anything going on underneath.
The other idea i have is that it's the seals on the doors that just need replacing.
I've read through loads of threads and found lots of information but none of it sounds quite like the problem I've got.
Before I start taking the inside of my car apart I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem could be?
Thanks

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Unfortunately you're Leon is suffering from probably one of the most common faults that they get...leaky window regulator panels.
Apart from the obvious wet footwells, the biggest tale tell sign is the soggy sills whenever you open a door.
Basically any moisture that runs down the window on the outside falls into the open void of the door and is supposed to drain out of the bottom.
If the seals have deteriorated on the inner panel then this moisture seeps out onto the inner door sills and into the car.

There are literally hundreds of threads regarding the problem and the cheapest and easiest way to resolve it is buying a £10 roll of buytl rubber from eBay and resealing all of the panels.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chad.overton.50

Nov 19, 2017
Check the drain holes the bottom of the door they get full of dirt

Pull the rudder seal off That's on the bottom of the door as well give that a clean

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
As Thai wronghorse said. It will be the inner door seals that have failed.
Very common. Yes check drainage holes aren't blocked but with wet carpets it's most likely your seals.
Plenty of how to threads on here. Been covered over and over.
Something which can be fixed following ne of the guides. Save you a load of cash too. Guy I bought my car off had Seat do his. I found a receipt for 700 quid. Yup £700. Crazy price. So get searching and have a go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Suz

Feb 15, 2017
Dorset
Okay so I've had what I would call puddles now in my rear footwells and now the drivers footwell too. I followed the guide to repair the inner door seals and that was successful but hasn't stopped the water getting in.
I can't see any signs of where the water may be coming from. Is there any way it could be coming from underneath? I thought I'd ask before I remove everything and take up the carpet to check.
I think I'm going to re do the seal that goes all around the door frame as well just in case.
Has anyone else had the same? I'm stumped because there really is no sign of how the water is getting in!

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Is it both rear sides or just the driver rear?

The other culprit for water on the drivers side is the entry for the wiring loom from the engine into the cabin.

Opening the bonnet you may just be able to look top drivers side, if you've got lots of water there then firstly the drain hole in the corner is blocked but, just like the doors, the foam seal is corroded. Water runs down behind the pedals and into the footwell.

when you took the door card off did you notice any staining around the speakers? They are yet another point of failure.

When it rains now do you see any water high up on the door sill? If that is dry then it will be the entry from the engine bay.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members