Buzzy Altea Speakers and ICE upgrade

intruder

Speakers mounted and just :clap:
Although only the front, the sound is way better.
And you need the adapters as mentioned before with the Infinity speakers.
A big thanks from my ears :D to Tell and loadswine!!

Tell

Staff member
Good, good.... it will sound better when you get the back done as well since you silence the tweeter behind the drivers door and the bass improves in the back. I did mine like yours first the front and then the back two weeks latter since one was sorting out what needed to be done. Interesting, least in the Altea when the car is fully loaded in the rear with all the continental shopping at Xmas and in May, the sound quality improves with more bass :). Although it's pretty good in normal use.....

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
did people use the torx screws into the plastic adapters (sk3103) as Im finind they get haflway down then get stuck??

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
they silver ones that are shorted than the torx20 one's taken out....they sound good, only rattle at silly volumes..what settings have people got, treble, mid bass etc?

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
It depends on the music and if it CD or radio on, Cd seems to have more Volume/Gain than radio levels at same set volume on unit itself. Clear Rock/dance type things bass 6, mid 7, treb 6. heavy work low bass higher mid.

Tell

Staff member
Ah I posted mine up in 2005 and haven't changed them.... but Googies you don't have Infinity speakers as I recall and mine in any case are the 2005 model. Afraid I don't have mine that loud that they rattle, but I do feel the sound in my feet thou at times.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Tell, i did feel the sound at my feet, but not as much ounch as the OE speakers, they still nt great, but when get the cash for a decent set i will whack them in there, still have adaptors and wiring etc handy for it. Correct ,mine were not infinity speakers, Alpines. They didnt rattle much, just at certain points and types of muic, it did annoy me and i took a fit and pulled them out!!

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Mine seemed to have an open area where the cone moved out past the rim of the speaker and this contact just caused a little rattle/buzz. Had them tightened down well though.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Done my front and rears today with the latest Infinity speakers 652.7is £100 for the 4 off fleabay (guy had them on make me an offer).
Used the MkIV adapters plastic tubes. Dead easy to cut lip off with a jigsaw. Don't use a fine tooth blade though - it melts the plastic rather than cuts it and welds itself back together. 12TPI blade seemed to do the trick.
Used the screws from all the fitting kits as the torx screws are too wide for the pastic tube holes.
I used tie wraps to attach the crossover units to existing cables in door space, after checking no intereference from the windows when wound down.
I was surprised at how much water there was inside the door. There does not appear to be any plastic skin under the door panal. Not surprsied the Altea mists so easily! The drains holes although clear do not seem to be strategically placed. My drive is slightly sloped in both directions so any water should run out but there was quite a puddle at the bottom of each door. Suspect we may seem rusty Altea doors in the not to distant future.

The autoleads adapters were great. Soldered all the wire ends and used 5amp connector blocks to join. Spades are a no brainer on the speaker since they are all slightly different sizes.
Sound? BLOODY MARVELLOUS!! I have an Alfa 166 which has a 10 speaker including built in boot woofers and DSP system. While not on a par with this, its a damn sight closer than the pap that SEAT fit. Even the wife likes it - praise indeed!

Tell

Staff member
Good to hear on the speakers (given I'm the guy that started it all off:). Mine are still working fine after 30 months or so.

My afternoon was spent friging about programming and re-programming a sat cam reader so one can get c4 in hd... I won't make this an Altea project ;). It did work in the end so I'm ahead of other Pace Hd box people. The programmer had a software bug which explained why I couldn't get the software in the cam (the bit that interfaces the card with box... this reads a valid sky card for c4).

I'll leave off reprogramming the car myself although I note people are reading out the vag info. Those BD whatever interfaces they talk about on Vag / Seat sites is the same satellite language for re-programming sat boxes of ten years ago... one big digital convertion.

martycupratdi

Sep 2, 2004
Kinross, Tayside
Just fitted Infinity 652.7i's tonight, they sound great, will give them a blast this weekend when I go to Time Attack at Knockhill this Sunday.
I was so disappointed in the factory fitted ones, I know that the car is built down to a budget, but you can't help feeling that SEAT haven't quite understood the little details that can make a good car great.
I've been in a couple of beemers recently and was well impressed with the finishes and details.

Anyway a big thanks :clap:to Tell, Paul, Loadswine and all others who have contributed to this thread, the install was a piece of cake and it will be really easy to swap the crap speakers back when I sell the car.

Off to Star Performance on Sat for a little remap, so it will be like driving a new car again, can't wait.

Thanks again all

Marty.

Tell

Staff member
Another satisfied person :).

I see that you did your research and fully read the thread and a thank you to Paul as well who told me about the wiring way back when on the tweeters, and Loadswine for pics. I'm still impressed with mine.

You sort of kid yourself with the factory ones that you think they are OK when they are not. The ones you fitted will get even better as they bed in like domestic ones.

[For me it's the rear alignment of the axle now that was a design issue on early Alteas which is why you get the bad wear... I got given the set up print out which won't tally with what the fitters elsewhere have, or that's what they said... better not cross post but it does explain the wear that you see on the rears of some Alteas, and not forgetting the throttle valve that jammed up, we're coming into the ££££s now after 3.8 years]

Enjoy the speakers....

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
A big thanks from me, guys. :cheers:

Swapped all 4 speakers for 652.7is a couple of weeks ago after reading up on this thread and a couple of others. My pics and writeup are HERE.

Took a bit of getting used to not having anything coming from the tweeters but once I got the EQ set how I wanted it I couldn't believe how much better it sounds.

Tell

Staff member
Another satisfied person.... I'll show the pictures to my brother since he'll be amused since it was him that I said I need this bit of plastic hacked down to size so it fits in. It need this taken off, so he said get me the hacksaw that I gave you for your birthday present [that day] and he did it in the lounge. I've been telling him that there must now be thousands of Alteas going around all with the same speaker mod.

I've noticed that the sound quality of the bass changes when you have 28 bottles of wine under the front seats which goes to show that some of the base does indeed come from the back speakers :). Those Euro trips.

Infinity speakers are good and the Altea headend in reality doesn't have much wrong with it. It's the only time that I have been able to hear the difference between CDs and MDs is on these speakers in the car, so that does indicate the quality of the speakers and the headend.

Td1man

Well I have fitted the Infinity Kappa 652.5i's (£40 off fleabay) with the adaptors duly cut down to the front doors, biased the sound well forward and very pleased with the result, especially when you bias the sound to the back and hear what it used to sound like yeulch, bring it forward again quick! now on the hunt for a second pair 652.5i's to match, anyone got any going?

Great thread guys....

googies what speakers did you go for? you link is broken with Alpine

fyi I have looked at Etka and the front main speakers

1J0 035 411 G - bass loudspeaker - 20/30w - 2005 model
1P0 035 411 - mid tone loudspeaker - 20w - 2008 model

the rear speaker:

5P0 035 411 A loudspeaker -

pricing of rear and bass are much different by the looks of it.

now i have read the vast majority of speaker upgrades for the altea and mk2 leon. all say the infinity speakers are about the best for "sound", but it also shows bass is worse than the originals, and because the tweeters on them are lower down than the originals there is a difference.

I would like to upgrade the speaker but not get rid of the tweeters (or their position) so i may go for Components instead. loosing a tweeter positioned high up and loosing lower bass is a total backward move in my eyes.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.