Battery Light Flashing

bobski

Jan 1, 2014
This morning when I started the car the battery light started flashing, had a quick search on here and most people said it was the alternator and to check the voltage.

Started driving and the light went off after a few minutes. Got to work and was able to check the voltage with a multimeter.

Whilst running it was over 14v, fairly consistent
After turning the car off it dropped to around 13.13v and stayed there

I plan to check it again before I go home as the car has only been sat for hour and half (not sure if that makes a difference or not)

Seems like the battery is okay and the alternator is okay, could this be a case of an issue with the wiring leading up to the alternator, there is some sort of chunky cable which leads to it?

Anything else I should check/test then please let me know.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Typically I'd expect that it is being caused by a brush seizing in its holder, or bush/brushes now too short due to the car having a high mileage, although it could be something else.

So, if this happens again, quickly try to apply a high load to the system and see if the light stays on for longer? Maybe even try a high load, rear heater and headlights at any time to see if that light starts to flicker on.

Edit:- maybe more info required, what age/miles and engine has that car have.

Last edited:

bobski

Jan 1, 2014
the car is on 204k so definitely a high mileage.

I have tried over the weekend to put the system under load, lights on, stereo, wipers, AC but still hasn't come back.

Measured the voltage on 3 different occasions, later in the day it first came on & each morning after, each time it measures about 14v when running and around 13v when not.

No idea what caused it but perhaps just have to let it develop and address later

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
typically i'd expect that it is being caused by a brush seizing in its holder, or bush/brushes now too short due to the car having a high mileage, although it could be something else.

So, if this happens again, quickly try to apply a high load to the system and see if the light stays on for longer? Maybe even try a high load, rear heater and headlights at any time to see if that light starts to flicker on.

Edit:- maybe more info required, what age/miles and engine has that car have.

+1[b)]

bobski

Jan 1, 2014
so, after the first time it went on the light never came back on (Voltage was checked a few times after and all read okay)

However big problem started, went out to get last night & under a bit of heavy load the light came on & stayed on, lights started to dim a bit.

Opened the bonnet this morning to check the voltage & I see the belt is off and the clutch pulley is off the alternator!! the alternator still has the thread on so I have no idea how the hell it has come off!

Bit worried now though as I may have ran the car without this for about 40-50mins and if the belt goes around the waterpump will that have caused any damage?

Is this a new alternator or just a new pulley, don't want the new one falling off too!

Also can I drive it or will I need to car share with the wife until I get it replaced?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.