Handbrake Help

alanplum

Jul 16, 2017
Hi all,

Had our Ibiza for a while now and I think my wife must have The Hulks left arm, because the handbrake now goes near vertical in order to hold.

Do any of you have any idea how to adjust. I’ve read it differs if you have discs on the back (mine does 115 PS) compared to drums.

I can see the adjuster under the armrest (added by me as I have FR). Dealer says bring it in, but service dept is stacked.

Does anyone know 100% the correct procedure for adjustment with read discs?

TIA

Al

alanplum

Jul 16, 2017
I took the plunge.

Removed the armrest and exposed the wishbone type thing with the 2 handbrake cables.

A simple 10mm nut is all it is. I put the handbrake to 5 clicks and just did the nut up, ensuring cables were released when handbrake down. Simples.

Personally I think it’s bit of design fault. When the handbrake is off the nut can actually be turned by hand quite easily so vibrations can easily undo it which is what I think has happened. Can’t see the cable stretching in just 4 months (unless my wife really is the hulk)

I’m going to add a second 10mm nut to stop it moving so easily.

Jobs a good un!!

Last edited:

Briant566

Oct 12, 2014
West Yorks England
I took the plunge.

Removed the armrest and exposed the wishbone type thing with the 2 handbrake cables.

A simple 10mm nut is all it is. I put the handbrake to 5 clicks and just did the nut up, ensuring cables were released when handbrake down. Simples.

Personally I think it’s bit of design fault. When the handbrake is off the nut can actually be turned by hand quite easily so vibrations can easily undo it which is what I think has happened. Can’t see the cable stretching in just 4 months (unless my wife really is the hulk)

I’m going to add a second 10mm nut to stop it moving so easily.

Jobs a good un!!

I have just had My 2 week Arona in for the same issue had to be adjusted its the same running gear as Ibiza

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That is bad, this is not the first VW Group model to have that issue, though I think that it mainly affects cars up to 3 years old, progress?

I think it started to appear on Skodas first!

Edit:- I think the plan on cars with rear discs is to tighten that nut up until the levers are just off their stops, I always leave them slightly looser so that the levers do rest on the stops.

Last edited:

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
On mine you only have to pull it up about an inch and the handbrake is on. Must admit never had one like that before.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I like to set the handbrake adjustment so that when it is off, you can feel the "slack" in the handle movement - not too much but enough to be able to feel it.