Common Mk4 Problems

loonymoon

I have a 2004 54 Mk4 1.4SX (75ps) here's my mini list so far all under warranty:

Replaced headlight switch as front fogs kept coming on without switch being pulled at all - switch faulty.

Just had it serviced and the dealer said the radiator is leaking - can't be bad as I haven't noticed at all. This is being replaced soon.

Headlights fog but not badly.

I think the previous owner must have had the washpipe problem as when I went to see the car the boot card was out and the bits were everywhere!

Deleted member 13653

my 06 cupra 160ps tdi has had both headlights replaced as they fogged up and condensation formed inside the light causing water droplets.... One was replaced in October 06 and the other in Jan 07. They have been ok since. At the dealer they told me a story that the lights are manufactured in Spain and its to do with the change in temperature when they come into the UK. Lets just say i took that news with a pinch of salt. I felt the wool was being pulled over my eyes :d

pedy

Mar 29, 2007
denny - stirlingshire
iv had the usual rear washer problem (which happened with my mk 3 aswell a god few times!)
also the fogging of the headlamps, taillamps and 1 of the side repeaters (also happened on my mk3 with the front fogs)

also, when i stop and reverse - when as i touch the brakes a sharp clunk comes from the o/s/f corner, then when i stop and pull forward it does the same, any1 else had this?

Apr 1, 2007

reply : also, when i stop and reverse - when as i touch the brakes a sharp clunk comes from the o/s/f corner, then when i stop and pull forward it does the same, any1 else had this?

- i had this problem on my honda civic its when the brakepads have been replaced with slightly smaller ones causing them to slide in the carriers, doesnt cause any damage just annoying.

ADM

06 Ibiza Cupra TDI

Back passenger window leaking in water - new window fitted
center caps on alloys becoming discoloured.

andyfras

Rear engine mount connecting rod on '03 TDi 130.

Central locking problems early on. Now the driver's door will not auto-lock when driving.

Fangio

Apr 20, 2007
First purchased 11/05 and 17,000 mls to date 130Tdi Fr
.........................................................................................
Few rattles all fixed by myself - wind noise comes from the door mirror (it needs the little vanes a la BMW)
Electric mirrors packed up and it took two days to trace the fault (wire had been crimped in manufacture)
Complete coolant loss (poorly postitioned clip eating into pipe) 4 day wait for new pipe, and very strange burning smell thereafter, which seems to be lessening.
Drivers side seatbelt does not retract properly.
Really no worse than any other car I've had and a darn sight more fun to drive.
I still think the clutch is heavy and a bit sudden and the brakes need too much of a shove; I'll put this all down to RH drive conversion.

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
06 FR Tdi.

1. Rear Wash Wiper jet- Stopped working, fixed under warranty

2. Rear brake light fault - fixed under warranty, short circuit possibly to do with the above.

3. Headlight Condensation - Both lights replaced under warranty

4. VAG COM shows a fault with the central locking but dealer says they cant find anything !

18000 miles in 10 months ! :)

Sim2cool

07 Cupra TDi

Picked it up Monday

Tuesday i had to take it back because of warning light apparently passenger airbag is brocken & needs to be replaced on order!

Today front drivers side head light fogged up!

Hopefully thats the end of the problems its only done 400 miles!!!

Deleted member 13653

07 Cupra TDi

Picked it up Monday

Tuesday i had to take it back because of warning light apparently passenger airbag is brocken & needs to be replaced on order!

Today front drivers side head light fogged up!

Hopefully thats the end of the problems its only done 400 miles!!!

heya, post some photos of your derv in the photos section? my cupra is nearly a year old! both headlights replaced (see above)

robjackson

Mar 26, 2007
1.2s
coil pack problem
timing chain slipped
both window regulators broken
rear washer problem x2
nsf suspension bushing went also
Now i think lambda sensor/s

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
02 TDi Sport

Rear wash pipe popped off several times,
GPS aerial popped off the back of the Sat Nav a few times,
gearbox replaced (warranty),
paintwork resprayed (warranty),
front bushes replaced,
track rod ends replaced,
a section of intercooler pipe replaced,
broken cup holder (not bothered replacing)
....think thats about it :D

skott101

Apr 4, 2007
Manchester
Suspension knock

Just had a similar problem on my 04 TDI. In my case it was the front lower wishbone assembly which had worn badly. My car was fitted with polyproperlene bushes at some point in it's past but they were badly damaged due to no lubrication on the securing bolt/pin.

You cannot buy a genuine bush seperately, it's part of the whole wishbone assembly. Dealer cost was £67 plus VAT. I picked on up from ebay for £40. It's an arse of a job to do but lots cheaper than the £190 i was quoted from a garage!

I'm told polyprop. bushes improve handling lots but given their quick expiry on my car, i'll stick to OEM stuff.

Oh and a btw... my Seat dealer told me the rear bush is a very common failure. I changed mine while i was at it. They are £8 inc VAT from a dealer.

Hope this helps!

MK8

'53 Reg Ibiza 1.4 S - 37k

New Steering Rack - £550
New Steering angle Sensor - £95
New Steering Pump - £900

Also get suspension knock on full lock, and ofcourse headlight condensation!

All in one month, which happened to be 4 months after manufacturers guarentee ran out

Now bought a £200 warranty from warrantydirect - sick of paying bills!

keebo_sioux

I'm so dark I fart bats
Feb 8, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
Visit site
'03 Sport TDI 5 door...still love it, but:

rear washer problem - once. They recommended we ensure that there was really good de-icer in the windscreen washer...no idea if it made any difference but it hasn't happened again...yet

headlights also mist up.

Both headlight bulbs went suddenly at around two years, only sidelights came on. Reckon it's unlikely that would happen "naturally" - cost me £26 (not impressed!) because I thought it was a fault and they reckoned wear and tear.

Since the car was two and a half years old I have had problems with the aircon. It can do cold - "lo" and it can do "hot" - so anything from 18C-24C comes out as 28C! The fan is also very confused, it blasts out air then cuts out, then blasts it and cuts out again. At the 3 year service they replaced a part , said it was one of the fans not working (they took the dash off), but it's no different now. I could not afford to go back there as the dealer is not nearby so I left it. I'm due a 4 year service in July but it's now out of warranty and going to be expensive to fiddle with the air con.

Because of the air-con problem, the CD unit gets hot and won't eject the CDs until they have cooled down. It tries to eject and then displays "mechanic" on the screen. CDs also jump if the unit heats up. Again, I asked them to look at this at the last service and they couldn't find anything because it only does it when the unit is warm from the air con problem! To be honest, this one annoys me because the old 1.4 estilo Ibiza I had before used to get hot too and wouldn't play tapes, so I know it is almost a 'design feature' - ie naff design. Any long journeys and after an hour or so I am stuck with the radio unless I turn the aircon off completely.

Also, you describe a knock when reversing, I have experienced that but I get more a squeaaaak if I reverse - i think it's only when I am steering, usually more prominent when it's wet, like I have my foot on a worn brake. One guy even told me "get your foot off the brake" when i wasn't even on it so it sounds like that to others too.

MK8

I bought full top level warranty from WarrantyDirect, you can knock them down in the quotation price that the website will give you on the phone. From £220 for 12 months, i got 13 months cover for £200. Not major discount, but definately good enough! I think its excellent value for money. Cover seems more comprehensive than the competition aswell, for a lower price.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise