W8 Passat Interior Light Installation

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
A Brief guide on how to install the Passat W8 Interior light into a Mk4 Ibiza:

Please note, i originally used this guide, however i hereby make a few ammendments for Mk4 Ibiza owners:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/w8_inner_light.htm

Firstly, the dimmer wire needs to be attached to the following wire behind your headlight switch. When spliced, run the wire up the a-pillar and through the front of the head lining towards the Interior Light socket.
W8DimmerWire.jpg

Note - when liooking at the back of the plug, it is top right wire (blue/light blue)

The interior light has a rear facing female plug connector. This will foul on the alarm sensors. I do not know if it will fit if they are not present on non-alarmed cars however. I simply pulled off the connector with some pliers (it was getting dark and i was rushing!)

Chop off the male connector attached to the car so the three wires are exposed (Brown, Brown/Black, Red). Solder/attach some wire extensions onto them to give some soldering room.

The wires are connected to the W8 as follows (please excuse the mess!) Holding the W8 so that the connector is at the top, and the top pin number 1:
1: ---
2: Red
3: Brown
4: Brown/Black
5: ---
6: Wire from Dimmer
DSC04147Medium.jpg

When finished, secure the joints with insulation tape and insert the W8 light into the gap, rear end first, followed by pushing up the front. It will click into the roof and your all done!
DSC04148Medium.jpg

Dont forget to install 4x 501 bulbs in either! I opted for 2x White LED's for the map lights and 2x UV led's for a nice blue/purple glow :D

Please excuse the quality of the photos, i fitted this ages ago now and someones request has just prompted me to do this little guide... Good luck!

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
this is the full list of parts (off a mk4 golf site) if you wanted to make your own adapters so as to keep the original bits intact

3B7 947 105F 2EN - W8 Light no sunroof, grey x1
000 979 103 - Contacts x 2
893 971 993 - Housing x 1
3B0 972 706 - Plug - plastic x 1
000 979 131A - Terminal pin - steel x 2

when i finally get round to doing mine ill tell you what parts you actually need, as i dont want to hack up any of the plugs or wires so its just a plug swap job

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
lol, seems like some1 said before seat jut put whats parts they have 2 hand in. al take a pic of mine if u like and u could probably easily order 1.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
sure simon take a pic for u tomorow before I drive 2 college, late start 12 hehe :D. o and lukey a reckons there right, if u get it sorted lukey fancy posting some pics any additional info would be nice, even though eds guide is pretty good

Reactions: PlatinumDerv

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
These are the parts i have used to create a plug adapter

000 979 103 - Contacts x 2
893 971 993 - Housing x 1
000 979 131A - Terminal pin - steel x 2

you get 2 of these wires
connector1.jpg

and 2 of these wires
connector2.jpg

and a 3 pin female plug housing

i cut the 4 wires in half so you have 4 wires with 2 of each end, i soldered 3 of each together and fitted them into the plug housing

lika dis
plug.jpg

ive removed the connector on the light same as above and soldered the claw ends onto the relevant contacts on the light and heatshrinked over them. Havent fitted it into the car and havent run the dimmer lead, ill do it at the weekend

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
just finished wiring it all up, my plug worked great, unplug the old one, plug the adapter in and the light was fully functional apart from the button illumination which requires the extra wire.

The running of the wire down i spliced it into the dimmer in the end, the hardest part was trying to strip some insulation off the dimmer wire in the 2 x 2 inch hole you have to work in, theres also very little cable to play with, i found it very helpful to add extra lengths of wire to the dimmer lead and then solder them all together outside of the dash space

as far as getting the wire down there, easy, pull the rubber seal away from the door frame and poke the wire through the gap at the top where you can see light coming through from the winscreen, shove the wire behind the a pillar trim and the headlining and push the seal back on

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
i never use them, i like to solder and heatshrink all wires i modify, i trust soldered and heatshrinked wires more than a scotch-lock that could vibrate free or something.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
the ones with the clip over are probably stronger than a solder joint if they are pressed firmly in, but I see your point, always nice to not damage wires though.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.