W8 Passat Interior Light Installation

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
wots wrong with scotch locks I use them all the time lol

scotch locks are a fire hazard and are not water tight

they are renowned for causing high resistance or intermittent connections, also the larger sized ones can get hot as the blade thing inside is only rated at about 15 amps

BTW they are banned by quality alarm/ice fitters

solder and heat shrink is safer,smaller and tidier, also if done correctly is water tight

YOU ASKED :whistle:

Last edited:

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
can understand the intermitent connections but when you add to any conection you add resistance granted a solder connection is probably lower than a scotch lock. But for a little interior light or glove box light well be ok by a scotch lock. You can understand the alarms and in car entertainment being needed all the time, if a scotch lock fails on a light then its normaly simple to fix. saying this like I will probably solder my joints.

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
this is the light illumnated
W8light.jpg

this is the nice red aura it gives in the car
W8illum.jpg

the before pics i took you could only see the red of the CC and the blue of the headunit, it just bounces subtly off every surface it hits, also good for reading CDs under, you dont need to put the light on and mess up your focus till your eyes adjust again

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Fitted my w8 tonight need to wire in the dimmer wire tomorow as it got dark. But the light rocks. I made an adapter with a male and female connection is rather cool

bennai

May 17, 2007
What are all the lights on the W8 light,

i can see the one with the car door opened, but there looks to be about 4 more, are these functional or are they just lit up?

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
What are all the lights on the W8 light,

i can see the one with the car door opened, but there looks to be about 4 more, are these functional or are they just lit up?

would like to know this to.. as my new lights are crap compared to my Se :( i would like to know more about this.. :)

Nowhere near my car at the mo' but looking at the pic the three centre illuminated bits are on one switch for 1) Always on 2) On when doors open (stays on for a bit after closing door or until ignition switched on) 3) Always off. The illuminated switches either side of these are for passenger or driver spotlights. If you look at post 1 you will see the buttons they correspond to and in that pic both side spots are on.

Last edited:

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
As Fester says, dead easy really. I mean it when I say I had no prior knowledge of such matters. Most fiddly bit for me was guiding the wire for the dimmer over to the A pillar. Some just tuck it between the windscreen and the A pillar but I didn't want to do that. 1st attempt was 45 min job I suppose (mine was a sunroof version too) but could probably do it in 20 on a second go.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Wire under the carpet? Assuming the Ibiza is similar to the Leon, the dimmer wire will run from the dimmer switch out the side of the dash and up inside the drivers side A pillar, tuck under the headlining along the top of the windscreen then into the area the W8 light clips into.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
Iv done this :D pretty easy getting it accross the headlining as u can pull it a bit with some give saves taking it down. Wiring to the dimmer is the hardest part as there is limited room to solder in