Key mod

Nganasan

Feb 28, 2013
Estonia
Thought I will post a result of key mod into separate topic as there have been some questions and pictures about it in different topics.

In this video you can see how to open key cover - thanks to terryt for the link. In real it was quite hard to open the cover only with fingers, screwdriver made it easier.
After the key was opened I removed standard plastic cap and replaced it with chrome cap. You will need torx T6, which is probably the smallest available.
Next step was installation of FR key cover and here are some photos of the procedure and result:

143dv89.jpg

kbcflu.jpg

adf9es.jpg

t4y24o.jpg

23senhs.jpg

15xajhi.jpg

FR cover is just glued over the standard key, so if you want to have chrome cap, you have to install it first and then glue FR cover.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Thanks for the info! if the cover is glued what happens when you have to change the battery? you have to break it open?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Like the chrome, should be standard really, the bean counters being cheapskates.

However if you have to glue the key covers on, how do you change the battery when required?

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Yeah its a blatant sign of cost cutting they way they've removed it for the Leon, as the Golf retained it. Up until now the keys used to always be identical bar the logo.

Anyone know the part number/ cost just for future reference?

Nganasan

Feb 28, 2013
Estonia
Here's FR cover installation guide.

For replacing the battery you have to remove it, I don't know if it is possible to remove cover without breaking it, producer of the glue is 3M, so it might not be easy.

FR cover product code is 000087013AE, price 23,99€.
Chrome cap product code is 5G0837599A, price 10,55€

Prices are from the on-line shop where I bought them + delivery cost depending the scope of order and your location.

I also ordered Emocion red repair paint and rubber/plastic mat for boot, which fitted perfectly.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Does anyone know how much the chrome cap is from a VW dealer (UK)? if not, maybe a group buy from the link above as the delivery cost is the same for 1 or more.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
A word of warning regarding the tiny screw that holds the keyring clip on. It comes out easily enough, but in my case the head rounded off trying to screw it into the new unthreaded chrome cap. The head of the screw is not hardened and may as well be made of chocolate.

Luckily, I managed to get it back out with some mole grips and the soft head meant that it was easy to cut a slot in it with a junior hacksaw so I could re-insert it fully using a screwdriver. Anyway, finally finished my first mod!

:D

robheaver

That looks fantastic.Should look at producing them to sell.

xordinate

That looks fantastic.Should look at producing them to sell.

I agree with you but I removed my fr cover and my key buttons was crushed by cover and key button structure was iimpaired by key cover. Now I can't share photo link but when I access to 15 post, I will share my key photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
I have just done the mod with the silver vw cap, I used the original screw which has sheered the head off.... so I cant remove the cap, or get the screw out but its in the correct place and solid.... so not the end of the world...just be careful :rofl:

thefunkygibbon

Mk3 Leon Cupra 280
Jan 9, 2012
In my opinion it looks pretty tacky. Are there other 'cases' you can get that aren't fake carbon fibre with FR on them?
I just wish that they had put keyless entry/start buttons on the cupras really. would have been a nice addition to an otherwise modern car.

Last edited:

Deleted member 98136

Sold out ! - that's a bummer, looked like a useful item.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise