What features can be activated after purchase?

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
The dealers around me have about 15 demonstration Ibizas with various levels of equipment so I'm trying to figure out which one might be the best buy. In particular, I'm interested whether Adaptive Cruise Control can be enabled if it's not listed as built-in? All of the cars do have Front Assist radar.

What other features can be activated in a similar way?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
The Radar id alfeady fitted hence why Acc is only a £170 option. It'll just need turning on and maybe the second stalk

alanplum

Jul 16, 2017
That penultimate one would drive me nuts.

I hope that's not enabled by default.

If you arrive home late, the tooting when locking would make angry neighbours.

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
That's even more cool than I've thought it would be. :thumbup: I suppose a dealer should know how to activate these features? ... or are these some kind of "hacks"?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
...well you couldn't have crappy SEATs and SKodas having all the features activated as if they were a proper VW or Audi could you?

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
That penultimate one would drive me nuts.

I hope that's not enabled by default.

If you arrive home late, the tooting when locking would make angry neighbours.

I suspect where filmed that country doesn't get the alarm as standard therefore the horn is used instead.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
I also suspect that although they don't say how to do these mods can't be that different from the Leon coding. Looks like FR in these video's has LED fogs, thought they were halogen in UK spec anyway.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
The Radar id alfeady fitted hence why Acc is only a £170 option. It'll just need turning on and maybe the second stalk

Er no. A blanking plate is used if the ACC is not specified. The radar is a £200 piece of equipment. They are not going to inflate the price of the car just in case you decide later you want to enable it.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Er no. A blanking plate is used if the ACC is not specified. The radar is a £200 piece of equipment. They are not going to inflate the price of the car just in case you decide later you want to enable it.

Er yes, how do you think 'front assist' works?

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
No it doesn't - if it did you'd see the sensors on all models of car as ultrasonic sensors are the same as those used for parking sensors, they're clearly visible. They're only capable of measuring very close distances not prevnting you from rear ending a car at high speed like 30mph...

I'd agree that they could use a cheaper radar sensor if you don't spec ACC but it still has a radar sensor and I doubt it's in a different place. My A-Class has what VW call 'front assist' but the radar sensor is hidden behind the bumper. If I had distronic cruise control there would be another radar sensor behind the star.

Happy to be proven wrong though, but if i am there's a hell of a lot of VW group cars on the road with ACC...

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
AFAIK there are two versions of Front Assist and VAG doesn't make it clear which model has which system. One version has only a laser distance sensor; another version has a laser sensor and a radar sensor. The first version, obviously, cannot possibly have ACC. Regarding the second version, I'm not sure if a different radar sensor is needed for FA only vs FA+ACC (I'd suspect it isn't, as basically all radars just measure time the reflected signal needs to return).

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
The standard Multi-Collision Braking System uses the standard radar that will also enable ACC to work with the square radar box in the middle of the front lower bumper. I thought the laser system was used on the Up!/Mii/Citigo trio? But, then I struggle to keep up with VAG at the best of times!

The ACC for £150 is a software mod it is a bit steep (was £500 originally without the sensor being present), but, then SEAT also charge charge £150 for 'Full Link' Apple Car Play/Android auto another software mod... My soon to be gone Corsa E has that has standard on its R4 infotainment system.

I could of course be talking nonsense as normal... There is never an armchair VAG expert around when you need one :eek:)

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
Yes, up! has the laser system. (I don't remember it ever doing anything in about 5 years; I guess either I'm driving really carefully, or it isn't working...)

I've just found a nice demonstration Ibiza at one dealership, with ACC already built in so I won't have to mess with that. Going on the test drive this Saturday. :drive1:

Edit: drove the car. Looks even better in reality than on pictures. The radio could be bigger (it's the 5" one), the front lights could be LED, there is no double floor in the boot, but, eh, it's good enough even without those. About 2 months old and 2500 km, about 10% discount from the list price. I hope to sign all the papers next week.

Last edited:

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
If it sounds too good to be true... :shrug: Yeah, they've forgot or "forgot" to mention, both in the ad and during the test drive, that they actually can't sell the car before January. Paid an advance anyway to keep it reserved for me - I really like it.

seat-ibiza-1.0-tsi-style-slika-88905772.jpg

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise