which Leon would you choose 2.0tdi DSG 184 or 1.4tsi DSG 150

LondonPirata

Jun 10, 2017
NW London
hi im a newbie and glad to be here. this is the second leon i've owned having had a FR 2.0tdi dsg 170bhp in 2011. I'm trying to choose which to buy on a lease A 2017 Leon Xcellence ST 2.0tdi DSG 184bhp or an Xcellence ST 1.4tsi DSG 150bhp. The costs to me to lease and insure are very similar So it appears to me that I should choose the 184bhp model. is there any reason why i shouldnt? have i missed anything out or is it a no brainer.:confused:

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
hi im a newbie and glad to be here. this is the second leon i've owned having had a FR 2.0tdi dsg 170bhp in 2011. I'm trying to choose which to buy on a lease A 2017 Leon Xcellence ST 2.0tdi DSG 184bhp or an Xcellence ST 1.4tsi DSG 150bhp. The costs to me to lease and insure are very similar So it appears to me that I should choose the 184bhp model. is there any reason why i shouldnt? have i missed anything out or is it a no brainer.:confused:

In that case it probably depends on the mileage you do. Are you doing enough to warrant a diesel? Could you maintain that engine or do you just drive around the city on a commute? The petrol engine returns very good fuel efficiency and is quite nippy, so I hear! If you were comparing the 2.0tdi 150 and the 2.0tdi 184 then it's a no brainier but petrol vs diesel is a different matter

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I'd nip and do a test drive mate. Think they will drive quite a bit differently and it will depend on which you prefer. The 184 will have loads more torque, but will peak earlier; the 150 will obviously be quieter, at least until you're revving the nuts off it ....then there's the 'potential' for better economy in the diesel. You'll probably find that you'll be chasing revs in the 150, so I bet there won't be much difference in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
184 will have the bigger brakes and the independent rear suspension?

For me the petrol v diesel thing boils down to mileage. I do about 18K miles a year a lot of which is plodding up and down dual carriageways and motorways. This suits the diesel.

If I was doing less miles I'd be in a petrol. Nicer to drive, more refined.

marinipersonal

Jan 1, 2017
Unless you're planning just short journeys, as it's a lease, the cost of maintenance of diesel, after 3 years, won't hit your wallet. If was to be a car to be kept for longer, those costs would be crucial, because even doing many miles in long trips, eventually the maintenance cost will come and it's quite high. If was the 1.8 petrol, which isn't more available (not sure, but heard that before), which would have similar suspension of the 184 diesel, then the comparison would be more about which engine you prefer. I, personally, would always go petrol (in this scenario), unless if I was doing many miles. I know about the torque of diesel, as I drive diesel vehicles also, but I prefer petrol. The 1.8 is a very refined engine. The let down is the 7 speed DSG dry. In your scenario, the 184 will be faster and more economical. Bigger brakes and independent rear suspension, that's the choice, I would say.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I will be doing around 18k a year in my 1.4 eco tsi fr 150 as my office has just relocated. I have a company fuel card so I wasn't as exposed to the extra cost of the petrol hence optig for it instead of the deisel. If I was paying for my fuel i woild have gone diesel for sure however I'm currently seeing around 58mpg in mine up until a short stretch of dual carriageway when it drops to around 56mpg for my average commute. Not bad for a petrol, same as my 150 cdti Astra I had previously. Engine has plenty of poke too and just keeps pulling. Dont get me wrong its not the quiclest car out there but im sat in a queue like everyone else is anyway. As others have said though less torque so when overtaking have to work the gears a little more but that's all part if the fun right????

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I will be doing around 18k a year in my 1.4 eco tsi fr 150 as my office has just relocated. I have a company fuel card so I wasn't as exposed to the extra cost of the petrol hence optig for it instead of the deisel. If I was paying for my fuel i woild have gone diesel for sure however I'm currently seeing around 58mpg in mine up until a short stretch of dual carriageway when it drops to around 56mpg for my average commute.

What speeds were your motorway journeys? Cruise control around 70-75mph?
56-58mpg is not bad for a petrol. My previous 2.0 TDI 150 DSG, on long runs does about the same. Apparently the DSG is a bit less economical (about 3-4 mpg) compared to the manual on these diesels.

LondonPirata

Jun 10, 2017
NW London
I eventually went for the 184 tdi dsg excellence ST. so far the drive is very comfortable and spritely. my london driving is returning just over 40mpg with around 1500 miles done so far. i think the TDI was the right one for me as i dont have to worry about maintenance costs ant the contract hire deal made it cheaper for me than the 150 tsi by over £1000 once i kitted it out. thanks guys for all your advice and comments.

mgag1

Mar 7, 2018
Angus Scotland
I have the 2lt 184 auto I get 54 mpg on an average run and 35mpg when towing my caravan. Totaly love the fun you can have with this set up . I have driven 7 seater people carriers for the last 20 yrs so great to get back to and gtreat "small" car I choose the excellence trim level and cannot fault it

LondonPirata

Jun 10, 2017
NW London
I finally opted for the 184tdi dsg ST Xcellence. I'm currently returning 40.3mpg on the long term results but I live in London where most of my driving. I use to drive a ford cmax titaniumx 160bhp which returned 38mpg long-term. It's great to have a bigger boot and power power power but most my driving is in drive mode not sport. The electric seats are better than the Ford but both need memory settings. I also prefer the 5 heat settings on the ford and the way you set the level. The review camera is ok but again better on the ford. The gearbox and suspension is better for me and the infotainment is so much better in the seat. Love the keyless entry. I actually prefer an electronic handbrake.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members