Media System Plus with Navigation map updates?

rustyd0g

Jul 31, 2017
Edinburgh
I've got an FR 115 coming at the beginning of March which includes the Media System Plus with Navigation.

Does anyone know how SEAT handle map updates for this system? Will this be something we have to pay for at the dealership or are the maps user updateable?

I've noticed some threads in the Leon / Ateca forums where owners have managed to update certain units via SD card with maps found online however it seems this isn't officially supported in the UK.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I asked this same question previously on the forum and didn't get a response. It would be good to have an answer on this.

rustyd0g

Jul 31, 2017
Edinburgh
Missed your previous thread, should have searched before posting! Have emailed SEAT UK customer services for confirmation.

It looks like both Skoda and VW in the UK offer free updates on some models for 3 years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
The manual states that you can update them via Seat.co.uk, but that's kinda vague so not really sure. Not that impressed with it to be honest so will probably just use Google Maps

rustyd0g

Jul 31, 2017
Edinburgh
The manual states that you can update them via Seat.co.uk, but that's kinda vague so not really sure. Not that impressed with it to be honest so will probably just use Google Maps

I did see that in the manual. Can't find anything on the SEAT UK site about map updates.

Still haven't heard back from SEAT UK customer services. I also emailed my dealer to ask if the maps are owner updateable or if it has to be done by a dealership. They simply replied "To update your Satellite Navigation, you just update your SD card." which isn't particularly helpful.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
I'm not aware that the supplied SD cards can be updated, but replacements are no more expensive than a 12 month subscription to Garmin/TomTom, so buying a new one every year or so is not a costly exercise.

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
Last edited:

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
You can update all navigation maps using this link below. This is the official seat website and is on the main website you just have to search for it.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Navteq-Site/Navteq/en_GB/Pagelets/LandingPages/SEAT/Seat%20Portal%20Landing%20Page/SEAT_Portal.html

Edit: for future reference, here is all stuff about navigation on Seat.com
http://www.seat.com/owners/your-seat/navigation.html

That website is only for people with "MapCare Update" which you can't get on UK cars. Also it doesn't list the Sat Nav that's in the current Ibiza either.

Last edited:

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
That website is only for people with "MapCare Update" which you can't get on UK cars. Also it doesn't list the Sat Nav that's in the current Ibiza either.

Surely the new ibiza will be up to date?
If you’re wanting to update your maps aren’t we looking 1-2 years away?
There is a new road built near me, been open for months and google maps hasn’t updated it.
Think it’s more a matter of the companies that do the maps rather than seat.

rustyd0g

Jul 31, 2017
Edinburgh
You can update all navigation maps using this link below. This is the official seat website and is on the main website you just have to search for it.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Navteq-Site/Navteq/en_GB/Pagelets/LandingPages/SEAT/Seat%20Portal%20Landing%20Page/SEAT_Portal.html

Edit: for future reference, here is all stuff about navigation on Seat.com
http://www.seat.com/owners/your-seat/navigation.html

Thanks Woksin, I've already seen the info on http://www.seat.com/owners/your-seat/navigation.html but as farrar has mentioned it doesn't apply in the UK as our vehicles don't come with MapCare.

Surely the new ibiza will be up to date?
If you’re wanting to update your maps aren’t we looking 1-2 years away?
There is a new road built near me, been open for months and google maps hasn’t updated it.
Think it’s more a matter of the companies that do the maps rather than seat.

Yes, I'm sure the maps that come with the new Ibiza will be the latest at time of manufacture.

I was just wanting to know whether we could update the maps for free ourselves or whether as Scrogg has suggested we'd have to pay a dealer for a new SD card.

VW and Skoda in the UK both let owners download and update maps for free themselves. These maps are released twice a year and the same maps are shared by the 3 manufacturers as discussed in the Leon navigation thread.

Last edited:

rustyd0g

Jul 31, 2017
Edinburgh
Just a quick update, here's the reply I've received from SEAT customer services.

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding navigation updates. I apologise for the delay in my response.

I have looked in to this for you and you are able to purchase the required pre loaded SD card or CD mapping updates should they wish to do so. This can be requested through your local SEAT Dealership.

Map suppliers Navteq and Tele Atlas apply a licencing fee to updated information, which SEAT must cover. All car manufacturers, including SEAT, who provide the fully-integrated satellite navigation options to you, must pay this fee to the map provider.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Doesn't really clarify if you can just buy the SD card and put it in yourself or it needs the dealer to install.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members