75hp performance

sosidge

Jun 5, 2004
Hi all

Considering an Ibiza - very impressed with the car standing still - but wondering about the 75hp engine option.

Will be using the car mostly around town, happy to run at the speed limit on the motorway, but don't want to get scared on the slip roads if you know what I mean.

Will the 75hp engine be enough or should I stretch for the 95hp?

Should add that there will often be me plus two kids in the car for the trips out of town.

Thanks

Last edited:

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
The 75 is surprisingly capable.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be belting up and down the M5 all day in one, but for the driving you describe it will be more than sufficient...

That said, if the TSI 95 is in your budget it is worth the extra. A real case of both good, but one more good!

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
I assume that the 75PS engine is a variation of the engine fitted to the VW High Up! If that is the case, I’m sure it’ll be fine... We had a High Up! (that ! is very annoying to type) shortly after they came out, and it was more than capable. Sounded great too. I’m not sure how much heavier the Ibiza is than the Up!, but I’d imagine there was less than 100Kgs in it and that can’t make much of a difference..equivalent to only one person plus some luggage :)

Having said that, how much more is the 95PS one? I imagine you end up having to go a trim level...but even so surely it’s not that much? And presumably if you buy on a PCP it has a higher residual as well, so the actual increase in monthly cost might not be that great?

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
For the sake of ~£500 much better off with a TSI engine.

Ah, I just looked. It only £500 or so more on the SE Design, but if you only want an SE, which is not available with the 95S engine looking at the configurator you have to spend almost £2k more to get the 95PS engine plus whatever the SE design also comes with. But again, I imagine the residuals for the SE design are somewhat better than the SE, so the point in my post probably still stands, that the monthly cost of going up in engine and spec might not be *too* much more

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Configurator is all over the place at the moment!

1.0 TSI 95 SE/SE Design is only £595 more than the 1.0 75 SE/SE Design.

1.0 TSI 95 SE Technolgy is currently not available to order, but it would follow it will be £595 more again.

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
Right...I see! I believed the configurator...assumed it was designed to upsell almost everyone! £595 seems like good value for the extra power and torque. Are sales of the entry level SE reasonable, or do most people move a little further up the range?

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Are sales of the entry level SE reasonable, or do most people move a little further up the range?
I don't have exact figures, but the most popular models are SE Technology (£250 for Navigation and Media System Plus is a no-brainer!) SE Design and FR.

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
75bhp 1.0 Citroen's won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. I tried the Vag one as welll, both are ok ish around town but hopeless when faced with a motorway incline. Save up and buy a 1.5. All the 1.0 will disappoint in the long term.

LeeT91

Jan 15, 2018
West Calder
The vast majority of small car buyers disagree with you.

I’ll agree with you there, if I didn’t have to travel up and down the country because of moving to Scotland I probably would have gone for the 115 engine over the 1.5 EVO I’m currently waiting on!

My little 0.9 tce engine has done me surprising well over the last 3 years despite me moaning that it would be crap, I’ll be sad to see it go truth be told.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
75bhp 1.0 Citroen's won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. I tried the Vag one as welll, both are ok ish around town but hopeless when faced with a motorway incline. Save up and buy a 1.5. All the 1.0 will disappoint in the long term.

I've got the previous gen 1.0 TSI (110PS) Ibiza SC. Yes its slower compared to my previous car, 2.0TDI 150, but i wouldn't call it slow. Way faster than previous gen 95PS Mini One I've driven, and feels slightly faster the same as the previous gen Mini Cooper (auto). And the cooper has 122PS + approx same weight. engine wise it feels like a car with 120+ PS of power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyJ8Ftg890 @ 4:31, surely 115PS engine can't reach 100kmh in 8 secs flat? VAG must be understating their power, or more likely, it has to develop 115PS on the dyno with the worst avaliable fuel, anything more, they turn a blind eye.

Friends who have sat in it, after I put my foot down a little, all think it's a 1.6 or 1.8. Jaw drops when I mentiond it's 999cc. Even once I had 5 people in the car with some luguage, it was ok even on mountain road...but oh dear does fuel economy plummet!

Most gutless car I've ever driven was a 1.2 82PS Citroen C3. had ~2 km of 'overtaking lane' in Norway/Sweden, and with foot flat to the floor in top gear, slight incline, accelerating from about 80km to about 110km...forget it...couldn't make it in time to overtake a long lorry.

But back to which engine...I would say...if budget allows, go for the 1.0TSI 95. As it has a turbo, you may not even need to change down that often, and probably cheaper to run in the real world.
My Ibiza 1.0 TSI 110, sees around 35mpg heavy London traffic, 40-45 mpg medium to light London traffic, 50+mpg Sunday 9am London city, and on free flowing 40-50mph dual carriageway, 55-60+mpg possible. 70mph Highways...well...anywhere from 48-55mpg.

Last edited:

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
I don’t mind changing gears and thrashing a smaller engine to make progress ...it’s sometimes more fun than having more power. In the real world, journey times for me are exactly the same whether I was driving our old 75PS VW Up!, 200PS e-tron or 320PS 235i :)

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
I test drove the 95bhp TSI engine which is fantastic...

Straight after I test drove the 75bhp MPI engine.... it was awful IMO. No power at all and the engine felt slightly lumpy at slow speeds. Didnt feel refined.

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
I drove 75 MPI engine earlier, and now have 95 TSI engine. Much happier with the later - feels substantially more powerful, more silent, and needs less gear changes.

To be fair, a couple of times I've carried a passenger and 200-250 kg of cargo, which all together should have been near the maximum allowed weight for the car; in town driving, even the MPI engine was adequate for that.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The vast majority of small car buyers disagree with you.

And so they are entitled to. However, I write from experience since I have a brand new SEAT 1.0 myself. Even with 110PS - it's pants.

Last edited:

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
^this.

And ^this, but which do you have more fun in, as for me I now have more amusement around the twisty bits of an A/B road in lower powered cars keeping up with higher powered cars..

It’s definitely more fun, and certainly safer for my licence, thrashing a low powered car round the twisty country roads, and usually more rewarding. But, 320Ps can be fun too ;)

It is remarkably easy to keep up with most things though, even in a low powered car - UK roads are generally too congested to put a significant distance between you and the car behind, even with a lot more power!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.