Option prices on factory builds - do they all include fitting?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Any advice appreciated..

Ordered a car through VWFS last October and it's due for delivery in a few weeks.

As part of the order I opted for the side blades accessories from the configurator.

Both VWFS and my dealership said this was a dealer fit and they would order and fit them locally before it was registered. They advised I order through the dealer directly.

Yesterday I received an email from the dealership stating that the price would be double, as they have to add labour painting and fitting to the cost.

It never mentioned that on the website, and since I've found in the accessories brochure it lists the blades £60 cheaper including VAT and fitting but excluding paint.

I called another local dealership and they said that the online price is what you pay for the part fitting and paint. They would order and fit it to the car once it's delivered.

Anyone able to clarify this? There is a large difference in the price I've been quoted by the dealership.

Thanks

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Unless stated otherwise in the price list - all options on a factory order should be supplied and fitted when the car arrives.

It sounds like they have missed them off the factory order and are trying to get you to fix it.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
It sounds like they have missed them off the factory order and are trying to get you to fix it.
They aren't available as a factory option, so they haven't "missed" anything.

Why do people that have no idea what they are talking about insist on answering questions they don't know the answer to?

...Anyone able to clarify this? There is a large difference in the price I've been quoted by the dealership.
Everything on the 'Accessories' tab on the configurator is dealer-fitted. The prices quoted are the RRP but dealerships are not obligated to charge those prices. It is really down to the customer and the dealership to agree the price at point of order.

It seems that in this case your dealership has made a mistake, and if you have a signed order showing an agreed price you do have a case to demand they stick to that price.

You say you ordered through VWFS. Was this direct with them who then passed your order to a dealership? If so, I haven't experienced that before so would need to see what paperwork you have to be able to comment on where the fault lies.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hi Scrogg

They aren't available as a factory option, so they haven't "missed" anything.

Understood

Everything on the 'Accessories' tab on the configurator is dealer-fitted. The prices quoted are the RRP but dealerships are not obligated to charge those prices. It is really down to the customer and the dealership to agree the price at point of order.

Understood

It seems that in this case your dealership has made a mistake, and if you have a signed order showing an agreed price you do have a case to demand they stick to that price.

You say you ordered through VWFS. Was this direct with them who then passed your order to a dealership? If so, I haven't experienced that before so would need to see what paperwork you have to be able to comment on where the fault lies.

So i have an existing PCH agreement that was setup at the dealer and financed via VWFS.
VWFS contacted me directly four months before the end date to sign a new one for a new 24 month deal. After a few attempts at sorting out an order (due to changes in spec and MY18 changes) VWFS delegated responsibility back to the dealership.

Nothing has been signed, Specs were agreed between both VWFS nd the dealership through email. in the email i was advised to sort the side skirts through the dealership.

I dont officially sign anything until i collect the car, and i dont hand over any cash to VWFS until approx 14 days afterwards.

So technically im not currently out of pocket.

Just confused as
*on the configurator the price is listed at £476 (no mention of fitting and painting at all)
*in the product brochure the price is listed at £410 (Including VAT and fitting - but states may exclude painting)
* the dealer has quoted over £800 (inc paint, fitting and brackets- dont believe they are required)

Last edited:

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Nothing has been signed, Specs were agreed between both VWFS and the dealership through email. in the email i was advised to sort the side skirts through the dealership.

I dont officially sign anything until i pick the car, and i dont hand over any cash to VWFS until approx 14 days afterwards.

So technically im not currently out of pocket.

Just confused as
*on the configurator the price is listed at £476 (no mention of fitting and painting at all)
*in the product brochure the price is listed at £410 (Including VAT and fitting - but states may exclude painting)
* the dealer has quoted over £800 (inc paint, fitting and brackets- dont believe they are required)
Somewhere, buried deep in the small-print of every manufacturer configurator/price list there will be a clause stating that all prices quoted are recommended retail prices (and I know from bitter experience that most accessories cost a lot more to fit than the RRP!)

Has the PCH agreement been set up to include them in your monthly rentals, or are you paying for them separately? If it's the latter you are free to shop around to get them fitted more cheaply elsewhere...

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Somewhere, buried deep in the small-print of every manufacturer configurator/price list there will be a clause stating that all prices quoted are recommended retail prices (and I know from bitter experience that most accessories cost a lot more to fit than the RRP!)

Has the PCH agreement been set up to include them in your monthly rentals, or are you paying for them separately? If it's the latter you are free to shop around to get them fitted more cheaply elsewhere...

Initially it was in the monthly rentals, but having been told it was dealer driven I opted to pay for them separately but with my order at the point at which I hand over my initial deposit (if that makes sense).

And Yes on the last page of the price list it does state
"Information and prices in this brochure can therefore be given as guidance only"

Oh well I may have to shop around. Cheers mate.

dsj20v

Dec 6, 2007
hampshire
I work for dealership bodyshop and we charge around £240 to paint and fit, I believe parts are around £200 so anywhere around £450 would be about right, £800 is a joke or whoever you spoke to has the wrong info

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I work for dealership bodyshop and we charge around £240 to paint and fit, I believe parts are around £200 so anywhere around £450 would be about right, £800 is a joke or whoever you spoke to has the wrong info

Cheers mate,
That seems to be the theme I'm going to pursue it with them.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

According to the dealership they have the part included in my monthly rentals. It has been confirmed.

I have SEAT CS looking into this.

Funnily enough there is no mention of charges for fitting on the UK site.
I've checked the configurator, accessories page and the latest available brochure.

The only thing I found was a potential charge for painting in the brochure as though it was at the dealerships discretion.

CS couldn't advise either and had to escalate for investigation by a case manager.

Funnily enough though if I navigate to Seat.es and use Google translate it does state that painting and fitting are additional for the exact same part :wtf:

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
If it’s any consolation I’m finding it extremely difficult to get a fully fitted price for the side skirts from jcb seat in Ashford. After many emails and phone calls I just get told ‘I’ve (Matt baker) got to speak with parts department. might start ringing around for quotes from other dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
If it’s any consolation I’m finding it extremely difficult to get a fully fitted price for the side skirts from jcb seat in Ashford. After many emails and phone calls I just get told ‘I’ve (Matt baker) got to speak with parts department. might start ringing around for quotes from other dealers.

Yeah I called a parts department in SEAT Chesterfield and they gave me a price but couldn't advise on fitting and asked me to speak with sales as it was a new purchase.

I spoke with sales and the guy said the online price would be all he'd expect me to pay with a new car ordered through them.

It really is dealer discretion.

Are you going for the full blown sides or the blades?

I'll update this thread once SEAT have closed my case. Apparently if I'm to be believed they're concerned about the lack of clarity on the UK site, dealership info and the brochures.

I've sent them evidence in the form of emails, product brochures and links to the website both UK and Spain to confirm the differences.

I should hear back by Friday.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Yeah I called a parts department in SEAT Chesterfield and they gave me a price but couldn't advise on fitting and asked me to speak with sales as it was a new purchase.

I spoke with sales and the guy said the online price would be all he'd expect me to pay with a new car ordered through them.

It really is dealer discretion.

Are you going for the full blown sides or the blades?

I'll update this thread once SEAT have closed my case. Apparently if I'm to be believed they're concerned about the lack of clarity on the UK site, dealership info and the brochures.

I've sent them evidence in the form of emails, product brochures and links to the website both UK and Spain to confirm the differences.

I should hear back by Friday.
Im going full blown side skirts. You?

I had bought some for my current FR 1.8 SC, but with a Cupra on the way I'm not sure i will bother getting them painted and fitted, although a SEAT approved local paint shop quoted me £300 to paint and fit. This tallies up with the comment from dsj20v.

Are you getting your Cupra through Chesterfield SEAT? or just got a quote from them?

I may do the same as you have and give SEAT CS a ring. Cant hurt, may even push them to sort it out!

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Im going full blown side skirts. You?

That's what I originally wanted but I was told that I couldn't get the full blown on the 300 when the blades replaced them on the configurator.

I had bought some for my current FR 1.8 SC, but with a Cupra on the way I'm not sure i will bother getting them painted and fitted, although a SEAT approved local paint shop quoted me £300 to paint and fit. This tallies up with the comment from dsj20v.

Have you ordered a different body shape?

Are you getting your Cupra through Chesterfield SEAT? or just got a quote from them?

My SEAT is coming via JCT Sheffield. Rang Chesterfield for a quote only.

I may do the same as you have and give SEAT CS a ring. Cant hurt, may even push them to sort it out!

Maybe worth giving them a shout. Like you say it couldn't hurt, but if you would rather wait until Friday I can share my case details with you, once I've heard back and if I've had any success...

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
That's what I originally wanted but I was told that I couldn't get the full blown on the 300 when the blades replaced them on the configurator.

Strange thing is the configurator calls them side skirts and quotes the part No for the full side skirts. 5F0071610

Have you ordered a different body shape?

Yeah I've gone for a 5DR this time. Just got annoyed with the large doors on a SC but granted it doesn't look as sporty.

My SEAT is coming via JCT Sheffield. Rang Chesterfield for a quote only.

Maybe worth giving them a shout. Like you say it couldn't hurt, but if you would rather wait until Friday I can share my case details with you, once I've heard back and if I've had any success...

Ah ok, may wait for the outcome of yours first.

I would like to think the price quoted on the configurator is the fully fitted painted price, seeing as horton seat is selling them for £350 primed.
http://www.seatpartsshop.co.uk/product/SEAT_Leon_Sports_Side_Skirts_5_Door_in_Primer_5F0071610

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Strange thing is the configurator calls them side skirts and quotes the part No for the full side skirts. 5F0071610

Well when I originally ordered the configurator had the old ones on there from the 280 and 290.
Then it just randomly updated the picture to the blades. This is when the dealership took a look.

They have since confirmed I could have chosen either.

If you check the brochure from the site it lists

Side skirts £476
Side blades £410

"The small print also says *all prices include fitting and VAT, but may exclude painting when required. Please discuss with your SEAT dealer"

So at the most I should have been charged extra for painting and not fitting as well, but this isn't on the UK configurator and no one mentioned it until a few weeks before the car and parts are to be delivered.

http://www.seat.co.uk/content/dam/c.../SEAT Accessories Price List 2017_issue 1.pdf

Yeah I've gone for a 5DR this time. Just got annoyed with the large doors on a SC but granted it doesn't look as sporty.

Had to go for a 5 door this time as well as the family is about to get bigger. I wanted and ordered another SC originally before I found out, then had to cancel and resubmit.

Ah ok, may wait for the outcome of yours first.

I would like to think the price quoted on the configurator is the fully fitted painted price, seeing as horton seat is selling them for £350 primed.
http://www.seatpartsshop.co.uk/product/SEAT_Leon_Sports_Side_Skirts_5_Door_in_Primer_5F0071610

Cool, I will update you as soon as I hear anything

Last edited:

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Right I’ve finally had a reply from my dealer, even provided a video to check there ordering the right ones.

Much to my amazement they are £484, painting and fitted is included in this price. This the same price as the configurator.

Probably not what you want to hear.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Right I’ve finally had a reply from my dealer, even provided a video to check there ordering the right ones.

Much to my amazement they are £484, painting and fitted is included in this price. This the same price as the configurator.

Probably not what you want to hear.

No actually that's good news for me so this is £484 all in?

The dealership have now told me £484 for part and fitting + £180 for painting.

Can you give the dealership name?

Seat are still investigating my case, unfortunately my next update is Tuesday.

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Glad it’s not bad news. Yeah £484 all in I emailed him to confirm.

What a piss take. Would be cheaper to buy off Horton seat then get them sprayed.

As for dealership it’s JCB SEAT ashford. If you would like proof (for seat case) I can forward you the emails.

Damn more waiting!

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

What a piss take. Would be cheaper to buy off Horton seat then get them sprayed.

As for dealership it’s JCB SEAT ashford. If you would like proof (for seat case) I can forward you the emails.

Damn more waiting!

Hi mate, yes the email would be great if you don't mind.

Issue I have is the sideskirts pricing is already in my agreement at £476 so at this rate I'll have them on the car but not painted.

I'll pm you my mail address.

Appreciated

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby

Damn more waiting!

I am due to pick my car up from JCB Seat at the beginning of March, it should arrive there in the next week. I was going to buy the side skirts and spoiler and have had a price to paint and fit by a reputable local body shop. The combined total should be just under £900.

I may fire an email to JCB to see if they can give me a price on carrying out the work before I pick it up. Who were you dealing with at JCB?

Cheers.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.