green panel filter and pd 160 intake

gazjones

ah right the filter makes the most difference i think but the tdi and 20vt are different

redcupratdi

Offical SCN Pole Dancer
Oct 13, 2005
cambridge
i'm getting rid of air filter and just landed a e-bay deal

1.50 for full air box setup having twin feeds (one 60mm one from fog light) and smoothed and green filter, cos with induction kit gets no ram effect at all and lost top end. i post when done.

gazjones

cool i was thinking of adding another feed from underneath to the gap in my bumper next to passenger fog light keep us posted and see if there is any difference!

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
I ve had a green filter in my FR PD130 for a while now, have to say massive driving improvement from the filter alone, and just fitted the PD160 intake at the weekend, ever since ive noticed a lot of lag when i stick my foot down, i get some engine noise, wait a second, then it shoots off, has anyone else had this? im think ing of reverting back to my smaller intake at the moment

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
I wouldn't put the smaller feed back on as this is much more restrictive than the PD160 one. I do think however that with this mod, the gains are so small they aren't very noticeable.

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
well helpfull thread guys have been thinking about changing mine for ages and have now ordered the bits after reading this thread :D

mexicorich

Apr 17, 2006
Hartlepool
But if it tapers down to the same size doesn't it still provide the same restriction then?
And apparently the inlet port is the same size too if its necessary to cut the shrouding back to let all the bugs in!
So we have the same size inlet at the grill and the same size restriction into the airbox - seems strange that much benefit can be achieved?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
74fc4726.jpg
thats the cupra one
and the old original one not the best pic but you can make out how much wider cupra one is just
oldintake.jpg

check out the pics, the top one has the pd160 intake and is clearley bigger, yes it tapers dawn at the air box but IMHO it acts like a funnel

Last edited:

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
just fitted my pd pipe to my 20vt easy 2 min job
as far as the size of hole at the air box end they are both the same but the 20vt one tapers down towards the grill the pd 160 one stays the same size along its length hence less restriction

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
this is what i have recently done i unbolted the inlet pipe out of the front pannel and cut/sanded and smoothed all the ristrictive flapps off with belt sander and also filled in a large slot where air was escaping using a cut out strip of old wheelsheild plastic and plastic welded it in place to keep air tight and swapped the stadard filter eliment for the green pannel filter have felt slight diffrence but every little helps wish id got pics of the job as it looks like the whole is now lettting in at least three times more cold air :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
yup I have done exactly the same as rashcupra, I have removed the restrictive flap.
only I think the bit he has blanked off is a water escape route

:shrug:

also there is a trumpet thingy inside the airbox lid that I think may also be restrictive, this just pops out

Last edited:

gazjones

i have remembered to day what a pain it is to fit the cupra intake there is no room lol after fitting something which needed air box removing,
if you are thinking of sommothing it and putting cupra intake on do it in one go lol its alot less hassle.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
yup I have done exactly the same as rashcupra, I have removed the restrictive flap.
only I think the bit he has blanked off is a water escape route

there is a little hole at the bottom of the airbox so if water does get in there it will just drip out of that! that little slot at the bottom lets out half the cold air thats just about got in there so sealed off will make a huge diffrence :yes:

here are some pics to try and show what i have done il mod the airbox lid at work tomorrow :D that might make it even better :thumbup:

EDIT: FRONT PANNEL is on the wrong side the pics are you looking from where the air is going into and the air escaping arows are the wrong way round but sure you get the rough idea :shrug:

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6818.jpg

when im moding the airbox lid maybe there is some water in the airbox maybe that could be all the condensation smoke out the back :shrug:

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.