ABS kicking in

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Ok did a quick search and found nowt........anyway the issue is that when driving slow 5-10mph e.g. turning into a parking space and braking the ABS kicks in......hign speed braking no issues though??.

The ABS light wasn't on until this morning.....now it's permanently on.

Fairly new front disks and pads :(

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
Dodgy abs sensor???

Take it to the stealers or if you have vag com you can see what is causeing it.

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
Yes sounds like a dodgy sensor...maybe a break in the wire from at or near the sensor hence its originally coming on when using lock....
Has the sensor wire been routed wrong since the discs were fitted?

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
I had the same thing with the ABS kicking in at very low speed once, but at high speeds, and low speed since I've had no problems. I have changed the brake pads since though so it could have been some dirt or something that is gone now.

Pete

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Steve you are gonna have to invest in vag com mate :p

Have a scan, my money is on somthing disturbed when brakes were done, or on a dirty wheel sensor/faulty. should pin point on vag com mate

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Well TSR have a reader but not VAG-COM, the engine check came back with no faults, he tried checking the specific sector on brakes and the ECU wouldn't let him in :confused: the light is back out at the moment :confused: if the light come on again I'll go back and see if they can check again

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Well thanks to the boys at Westec we, well they, found the fault....before we started Jock said whatever the fault is it will be near side front :blink: just because 8 out of 10 times it is.....I didn't argue.

Up on the ramp, wheel off and the culprit was located in about 10 mins, appears that the wiring to the sensor (about 20mm before the plug that plugs into the sensor) was broken or damaged.

When the car was on full lock this wire was stretched and was sending strange signals hence ABS kicking in.

Normal driving the wire was not stretched and hey presto everything was fine.

Jock cut back the wiring and re-wired the original plug.....I've just made that sound very easy but it was fidly, awkward work even with the right tools and on a ramp.

Saved me £70 in sensors etc etc so thank you Jock :worship:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members