Drivers footwell water leak

hondated

Dec 13, 2007
Even though I have resealed both front doors as described on here I am suddenly getting literally a pool of water after its rained hard in the drivers front foot well.
I am not being lazy in seeking advice as I have trawled through previous threads on this subject and read that it could be the rear window washer tube but there is no problem until it rains heavily.
I have also read that the pollen filter could be causing the problem but the passenger side is dry.
Unbelievably I have even used the hose to try and locate the problem but still cannot find it.
So even after consulting YouTube I am still at a loss as to what is causing the problem.
Any idea anyone !

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Have you checked the wire entry from engine bay into cabin?

To get to it you will need to remove the windscreen wiper assembly but before you go too far remove the sill and check that water is not sitting in that area. Check the drain hole is not clogged with leaves etc. With all this rain I don't envy you.

When I've done mine I completely removed the wiring harness cover and used good ole' butyl strip to reseal after through cleaning. It is possible using the same strip to mould a seal around the outside for a quicker job.

hondated

Dec 13, 2007
Thanks for replying VK I really appreciate it.
I will do what you suggest and let you know how I get on.

hondated

Dec 13, 2007
Hi VK yesterday as it was so sunny I tried to resolve the issue. Taking the wipers off was a nightmare but thankfully rather than having to buy the proper pulley I adapted a three legged one I had in my garage.
Then getting the cover you mentioned off was also hard work as the plastic parts that the wiper spigots poke through were holding the cover back. I managed to break these in the process so had to use some guttering sealant to replace these when I refitted the cover.
Cover removed it wasn't apparent where any water was getting in so I liberally cover wiring loom etc with guttering sealant again.
The only thing really noticed was that there was a hole where it looked like a bolt had been but I cannot see other than a mechanic having removed it and not replaced it why and how it came undone and then disappeared.
Am I correct in saying there is still no Haynes manual !
To block this hole I have taped over and used guttering sealant so hopefully if it is this causing the problem I have solved it.
Watch this space !

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
There is no haynes manual and doubt there ever will be as the golf mk4 haynes 90% fills the content that one for the Leon would need.

The doors and that wiring entry point would normally be the only access points that could fill the drivers side. Not sure what bolt hole you mean but it would be fairly obvious if water is collecting there and getting into the cabin. If you've checked the door and nothing is getting in from there then lets hope your work around the wire entry is good and your problem is solved.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If you have water on the black plastic bit of the sill when opening the door, then the door seals are still leaking.

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
Hey! I wonder if I'm on the same track. My Leon has been smelling mouldy inside for a while, noticeable when it's been standing a while and you open the door. Nothing feels damp inside, no signs of water ingress. All the doors have been sealed with butyl strip last year, definitely dry.

I've replaced the pollen filter and used a Comma air conditioning bomb. The smell is definitely not coming through the air vents.

In desperation I went all round the interior with a damp test meter. Everything was OK except for a reading in the carpet below the accelerator pedal, though carpet didn't feel wet.

I've poked and cleaned out the drain channel behind the RH wheel arch. There was quite a lot of muck and leaves in there.

A week later and the damp meter shows no reading in the carpet where it was before, so hopefully solved. The problem is the car still smells mouldy. If I pull back the wheel arch liner, will that give access to the drain area so I can check there is no muck left? The only other thing I can think of is use household carpet deodoriser to see if that fixes it. Any ideas not already mentioned above? Ta.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hey! I wonder if I'm on the same track. My Leon has been smelling mouldy inside for a while,

A week later and the damp meter shows no reading in the carpet where it was before, so hopefully solved. The problem is the car still smells mouldy. If I pull back the wheel arch liner, will that give access to the drain area so I can check there is no muck left? The only other thing I can think of is use household carpet deodoriser to see if that fixes it. Any ideas not already mentioned above? Ta.

I had similar problem with smell as milk Carton opened in the back of mine. I didn’t see it for 3 days. Stank.
My advice is,
If the car is now leak free?
Get a wet and dry vac or carpet cleaner.
Use loads of detergent. I soaked mine and scrubbed loads. Sucked all excess back up. Let it dry, no more smells and I promise stale milk
STINKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dowson1993

Jan 20, 2017
Hi VK yesterday as it was so sunny I tried to resolve the issue. Taking the wipers off was a nightmare but thankfully rather than having to buy the proper pulley I adapted a three legged one I had in my garage.
Then getting the cover you mentioned off was also hard work as the plastic parts that the wiper spigots poke through were holding the cover back. I managed to break these in the process so had to use some guttering sealant to replace these when I refitted the cover.
Cover removed it wasn't apparent where any water was getting in so I liberally cover wiring loom etc with guttering sealant again.
The only thing really noticed was that there was a hole where it looked like a bolt had been but I cannot see other than a mechanic having removed it and not replaced it why and how it came undone and then disappeared.
Am I correct in saying there is still no Haynes manual !
To block this hole I have taped over and used guttering sealant so hopefully if it is this causing the problem I have solved it.
Watch this space !

If your looking for a Haynes manual then go onto easymanuals they have a leon 1m workshop guide digital download for 10 quid a lot more detailed than a Haynes manual would be well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.