What does "INSPEC_" message on dash mean?

I4MJ05H

Nov 9, 2016
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago my car was telling me that it needed a service, and so I did the service and reset the message and all was good. However, today when I was leaving work a message reading "INSPEC_" appeared on the centre screen, and it had a spanner symbol next to it.

I know this isn't a service light because I did the service on it (Oil change, air filter, oil filter, cabin filter). I'm going to change spark plugs next time but I'm unsure what the warning is for as it isn't explained in the handbook (and Google isn't being much help).

Has anyone had this before?

My car is a 2014 1.2TSI Ibiza FR, although I imagine that the warning iz generic across MK5 models.

Thanks everyone!

ibizafr_wjm

Feb 16, 2018
Hi-

The Ibiza has two types of service reminders, one that you can reset using the buttons on the instrument binnacle and the other (which you describe) is an inspection service reminder, which is a technician-only reset. As far as I'm aware, they're both dependent on distance travelled.

The INSPEC_ message appeared on mine around 4 months after it's second-to-last service- I just ignored it, and the guys at my local dealer reset it when it went in for it's last service.

Hope this sheds a bit of light on the matter, not sure what I'd do in your position as you service the car yourself.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
A cheapish option for you might be Carista - or if you are serious about dealing with car issues and intend to keep on owning VW Group products, maybe VCDS is what you might consider.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.