How to - Change Brake Light Switch

Fast Bug

I found this through the wonders of google. I've replaced the switch on my gf's 2006 Ibiza, it's turned the EPC light off, but the engine management light is still on as are the brakelights when you turn the headlights on. Is it because it's a duff German & Swedish switch? Or am I doing something wrong? Any help or ideas greatly appreciated :)

Fast Bug

I refitted the switch, then released the brake pedal before locking it in to place. Both dash lights are now out (woo!), but the fecking lights stay on still :cry:

I've not replaced the bulbs, as they work, too well in this case...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast Bug

Just bought a new switch from a main dealer which is identical to the German and Swedish switch and followed the guides to the last letter, and guess what? The brake lights are still stuck on. What a rubbish bit of kit from VAG :censored:

platinumFR

Feb 2, 2006
manchester

Hi ppl

Ive had my pre heat light flashing and read the code 16955 ive put a new brake light switch in and new bulbs and checked the fuse but its still flashing any ideas?:confused:

regards

fonzynaitor

spot on that i will get right work and let you no how i get on

Greenjag

Jan 19, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
I couldn't think of a reason. Why it would be different as it isn't a performance part, but I thought I'd check with the collective wisdom of scn first.
Thanks again
GJ

Greenjag

Jan 19, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
Went to my local vw garage bought the green switch for £10.58. Popped laptop on passenger seat. 30mins later Brake lights are working and car is back together. Thanks stan. Ive never done anything mechanically more than change a tyre before, and this guide was so easy to follow even for a complete mechanical noob like myself.

adiohead

Mar 24, 2005
england
www.zetecs.com
My brake lights stopped working (except the middle boot one), so I changed the switch to the green one, but they're still out.

New bulbs didn't work and fuse is ok.

I'm a bit baffled.

Only fault code on my car is the EGT sensor (which I changed last year :censored: ).

Any ideas?

tilsley

Yet again the forum comes to the rescue.

Great original post and thanks to drvince for the added info that helped me sort mine out when I broke the first OEM switch I tried to fit.

Lost my brake lights last Thursday night. Logged on to the forum and saw this info. So took the dash off (didn't need to take off bonnet release handle) and removed switch Thursday night. Friday morning off to spares shop for what was one of the rubbish OEM switches which didn't work (brake lights permanently on). Based on others experiences I knew it wasn't me and didn't waste time fiddling so got on to GSF and the guy on the phone knew the original part number off the top of his head (usually I would call them a geek but on this occasion they were a lift saver!).

£9.90 later and I had an original switch which went straight in and fitted no drama.

This forum has again saved me ££££'s by not having to go to a stealer and my car was off the road for only 2 working hours.

Keep up the good work guys!

countymounty

Just finished replacing my brake light switch. A word of warning whilst doing this yourself though. Whilst I was trying to disconnect the plug from the headlight switch I managed to snap the switch unit clean off from the socket. This has meant that I needed a whole new headlight switch/dimmer/dash light dimmer arrangement at a cost of £73 for the part.

The plug is quite hard to unplug because it's difficult to get a decent hold of AND the bit that broke is clearly weak plastic (should be metal in my view). [:@]

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members