Pedal box (haven't we been here before?)

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
pants, just spent ages messing with photobucket (I'm not a genius when it comes to PC's), managed to load a piccie of my cracked pedal box, but just realised you can't read any of the text I put on it. You can see the crack (circled), the bit pointed out on the left is the clutch pedal, the bit on the right the steering column, going upto the steering wheel. This & the one above should help anyone else? by the way - as mentioned above, are all pedal boxes the same?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Your best bet will be to drill and bolt it to be honest.

Yes I know if its a small area to work in but it saves alot of time than having to change the whole pedal box. It also does work as there are several people that have done it and everything is alright. You just change the clutch cable when you feel the pedal starting to get heavy again.

If my pedal box decides to go again I am going to change the pedal box and fit a new one. I have the whole pedal box, clutch pedal and all the necessary clips etc required.

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
When mine went @ 4 years ago I spent a day getting the pedal box out :)censored:) and took took it to a local welder from the yellow pages. £15 later it was repaired & reinforced. Welder couldn't believe the poor quality of the pressed steel and factory welds. Not had any problems with it since. :thumbup:

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
kerching?

I posted a bit back about my creaking pedal box (which turned out to be cracked). I ended up going to the stealers for a new one (£68 plus vat) along with a clutch cable whilst I was there (£30 plus vat). Decided I couldn't be bothered to do the job myself so took to the local garage. That was Monday. 5 days later, still not done. I queried & they've had to take half the dash out (gulp) to get at the pedal box. They were also missing a vital clip in the pack I asked the dealer to provide me with too (typical). I'm not looking forward to the bill...........:(

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
well, finally got the car back (6 days later), £240 bill! I nearly passed out. On top of the £108 for parts I'm now £350 out of pocket. Plus I had to take the car back to the garage because my heater stopped blowing & none of the dash lights worked (thankfully they sorted that now).

If anyone's thinking of doing it yourself, do it.

Jamie Boy

Clutch clicks

My clutch is silent on the way down, but no matter how far down it is (even a tiny bit from the top), it clicks as soon as it starts moving up again. Does this sound like the same problem? It's been doing it for around six months (and doing in my knee for around 3 years!)

May 4, 2008
Is this problem specific to a particular model/year ibiza or is it a general problem? I have a polo 6K (Variant/Estate) on a 99 T plate. Just wanted to know if i need to prepare myself for this one! I know the clutch cable could do with replacing as it feels very frictious (if there's such a word)

TazKendo

In hinsight, when I was doing mine, it's probably better to take the driver seat out instead of the steering column to get a bit of room to work lol

4158507142a6109700105l.jpg

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
did the clutch saturday, found that easy.. then got stumped by the cable haha so left it, but 2 or 3 times now ive heard a loud crack when putting the clutch down, never noticed it before so guess where my head will be next saturday if its going, i think ill drill it like the picture further up and nut/bolt it. stupid cars haha.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
did the clutch saturday, found that easy.. then got stumped by the cable haha so left it, but 2 or 3 times now ive heard a loud crack when putting the clutch down, never noticed it before so guess where my head will be next saturday if its going, i think ill drill it like the picture further up and nut/bolt it. stupid cars haha.

Thats the thing to do. Mine has been bolted together for over a year and theres no sign of it going. I changed my clutch and the cable just after it had been bolted together.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Mine was bolted for about a year. Eventually the whole pedal box needed replacing, metal fatigue from where the bolt was only supporting it in one place :(

May 4, 2008
Right, clutch pedal has been getting a bit juddery recently so i thought it time to investigate. Looks like their is a hairline fracture in the bracket so after reading this thread thought it best to get the box out and attack it with the welder and some reinforced brackets. Have spent a few hours undoing bits and bobs but still no sign of the pedal box coming out. Anybody got a detailed account on how to do it? Was told by somebody earlier that the dash needs to come out but that sounds a bit harsh to me! does the steering column have to come off? Any help would be appreciated as i now have a stranded car :cry:

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Dash stays in! Yes the steering column needs to come out. Click on my build thread, there's loads of pictures in there from when I did it.

Regards,
Anthony

Jameze

Mar 9, 2008
Up Aberdeen Way
GUYS SEARCH THE THREADS BEFORE YAPPIN ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS, chances are someone has had the same problem and there is about ten pages on the same subject. Trust me i was the same before k.

Main issues covered were

Pedal Box
ABS light always on
most exterior mods inc what looks cool and not
Tire sizes
Non seat parts fitting or not
list is endless....feel free to add on anyone. sort of like an issues covered INDEX!