Fitting Coilovers - Leon Cupra

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I think everyone that finds this thread useful should chip in and buy Dave a shiney new spanner...

:D If you look closely, you'll see it's AF, not metric. I couldn't buy a metric spanner off the shelf with a deep enough crank.

Phil, I tried to measure the capacity of the old rear springs. ;) I gave up at 27 litres......

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Dave did you adjust the height of the coil overs when you put them on, or did you leave them as the manufacturer had sent them out in?

interesting you mention about the rear being bouncy. I have front and rear ARB's on mine as well, but the back does feel twitchy, and can now almost lift off into oversteer or the back feels like it wants to snap out after heavy breaking?

does yours feel like this at all?

I adjusted them, took a guess at what would be a good starting point (and as far as the rear went, I was miles off.

No, mines not twitchy at all. Just bouncy at the rear at speed in a straight line.

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Hi Dave,

Just to let you know after slaving under my car for a "couple" of hours today (damn Eibach ARB [:@]) I managed to get both my back shocks off and adjust the damping.

I had been thinking that my rears still felt a little bouncy, but after finding that setting my fronts to about 70% improved things I've now done the same to the rears. First impressions are positive but I'll give it another run tomorrow on some more difficult roads - if not I'll have to get under the car again soon :headhurt:. I've got a track day in a couple of weeks and want to get it spot on before that.

Anyway I'll keep you posted....

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
Hi Dave,

I had been thinking that my rears still felt a little bouncy, but after finding that setting my fronts to about 70% improved things I've now done the same to the rears. First impressions are positive but I'll give it another run tomorrow on some more difficult roads - if not I'll have to get under the car again soon :headhurt:. I've got a track day in a couple of weeks and want to get it spot on before that.

Anyway I'll keep you posted....

Are they Kw v3's you have fitted? I just fitted a set of v3's the other day and the back is very bouncy also.

I haven't had a chance to adjust the rebound on the rear yet but I adjusted the compression (softer) and it has improved things slightly.

Neil.

Neil_Ireland

Leon Cupra
Apr 27, 2006
Dublin
I adjusted the rears on my V2s to 135 degrees off the hardest setting and it has improved things. Getting used to it now. :D

I adjusted the compression on mine and it has improved things a lot, may do the rebound tomorrow if I get time.

Your guide was a real help while fitting mine, cheers Dave!

Neil.

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Are they Kw v3's you have fitted? I just fitted a set of v3's the other day and the back is very bouncy also.

I haven't had a chance to adjust the rebound on the rear yet but I adjusted the compression (softer) and it has improved things slightly.

Neil.

No mine are V2's like dave's. I did wonder if a softer compression setting would help in combination with a firmer rebound?

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
I adjusted the rears on my V2s to 135 degrees off the hardest setting and it has improved things. Getting used to it now. :D

That's interesting, that's still a fair bit firmer than mine. I must admit when I did the adjustment I reckon they were at more than 50% to start with so reckon I only stiffenend them slightly more in the end. A more extended drive today did show a slight improvment but I couldn't help thinking they could do with a bit more still. Well now I've got the method sussed I may have another go next weekend.

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
Now this is partially a stupid question cos i know the answer but just want opinions

I fitted my coilovers at weekend but the clamp at the top is standing proud of the turret meaning the strut is able to rattle around now im pretty sure that is wrong!
I can see that the clamp is hard down on the top mount bush though so im confused.
Now i dont have a torque rench so not able to check the 60NM
but if torqued up right should the pull them back together?

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
That's normal. If the top nut is tightened correctly and it's a new top mount, the top mount is being pulled up hard against the underside of the mounting. - You will see a gap.

Yeah they are new top mounts
A gap big enough to get your finger through?
The only reason i ask is cos i have a clunk noise which thought could be that
as with the gap the strut would be able to twist and lean meaning the clamb would bang against the turret :confused::shrug:

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
No, there shouldn't be a gap that big.

well thats what i thought
i mean it is prob only big enought to get your little finger down but
still it seems big enough might to take to a garge and get them to check its torqued up enough see if that improves it

i'll try take a picture an post so you can see

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
the springs do settle causing the nuts to rise up , i found this on mine.. but all i get now is the car creaks when i turn full lock.