Limp Mode!

PAK

Sep 25, 2007
location location
i have a 51 plate ibiza 110 sport and its been going into limp mode for a while and its been getting worse, i was going to take the turbo off to clean it as i thought it may be sticky vains, i popped the bonnet and decided to take the top vac pipe off the EGR and bung it with an old bolt. i went out fot a quick drive and the car seems better but not fixed, do you think it needs the inlet cleaning out instead of the turbo as thats what im now thinking it may be? thanks in advance people:)

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Unlikely to be anything relating to the inlet.
If switching off the ignition and back on again resets the limp mode then its likely to be vnt sticking
Glynn

PAK

Sep 25, 2007
location location
i took the inlet off yesturday and cleaned about half a ton of crap out of it and put it back on, its runnig better but not perfect, it hasnt been in limp mode yet but im sure it wont be long.

im getting a turbo off a 115pd for free so im going to strip it, clean it, then fit it, then at least the car wont be stood for too long in case i need it as its the only car i have on the road at the min
im guessing the easiest way to get the turbo off is from the top after removing the inlet again?? i know it would have been easier to do them both at once but the inlet isnt a hard job, just a bit fiddley, especially when you drop the spanners and the under tray is still fitted

tommycoops

hi ive just bought a 110 bhp ibiza diesel and i was wondering wot this limp mode is?? because my ibiza turbo runs ok until you hammer it to much then cuts out and stops working but wen i switch the ignition off and then bac on again it works fine again until the next time i push it to hard any advice would be grateful thanks

ryanp

the car talked about above is is now mine and it has the same problem every now and again, It is due to the sticking turbo vanes, the car got so bad a one point it was always in limp mode but that was due to the MAF, this makes the turbo even worse! Cleaning it is the only option!

Look on Tdiclub.com for the guide

malcpw

There is also excellent info on this site

technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/

Can give you full URL as I'm a newbie

Malcolm

malcpw

Just to let you know using info from those sites and other forums pulled my turbo last week and did the job. Completely cured the problem and with a new MAF car is now a real pleasure to drive.

Malcolm

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
hi ive just bought a 110 bhp ibiza diesel and i was wondering wot this limp mode is?? because my ibiza turbo runs ok until you hammer it to much then cuts out and stops working but wen i switch the ignition off and then bac on again it works fine again until the next time i push it to hard any advice would be grateful thanks

Limp mode is produced by the engine control module (ECM) -- it reduces power to protect your turbo. You prevent limp mode by correcting the underlying problem.

Your turbo may be overboosting or underboosting, no way to tell without monitoring with VAG-COM during a test drive.

The solution may be cleaning and lubing the VNT actuator, replacing the turbo boost controller (N75), replacing some of the vacuum tubing, etc. Only rarely does the actuator itself need adjusting. Tracking down which of these problems is the one can sometimes take a bit of time, but nearly all the possible fixes are pretty cheap.

malcpw

If you decide to pull your turbo a couple of things I found useful/necessary.

The heat shield around the drivers side inner cv joint needs removing.
The balance weight(not it's proper name) needs removing to give you working space.

On mine the union for the turbo drain/oil return turned with it's cyl block fitting so had to undo the torx bolts to the centre bearing housing. A 10mm socket will fit but so little room that torx fitting is easier.

There is a bracing bracket from block to turbo - it's easy to miss.

The three 8mm nuts that fix the front exhaust section to the turbo outlet require a 12mm socket. Best to use a flank drive socket as the nuts tend to be corroded due to the heat. A bi-hex socket driving on the corners will tend to round the nuts off.

On mine the 8mm oil feed fitting to the centre bearing housing was very tight (17mm spanner) so the adaptor wanted to come out with it. If I continued to turn it would have snapped the 8mm oil feed pipe. Either have a new pipe handy and just let it snap - but that will mean extra work as the oil feed comes from the front of the engine or as I did I cut the pipe with a plumbers pipe cutter and then when assembling used a Wade straight connector compression fitting. GREAT care is required to ensure that no debris gets inside the oil feed pipe or you will also need to replace the turbo bearings. So DO NOT cut the pipe with a saw.

If you tackle the job hope the above may be of use to you or someone else.

Malcolm

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.