Pump at cam belt service - diesel leon

yellowyellow

I've had a search on here and it seems that everyone has their water pump done at the same time as their cam belt service. Mine's a 4 1/2 year old mapped 150 TDi Leon, 50k miles.

The garage I've booked it in to said they don't do the pump on diesels as they don't need it - should I get it done anyway?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give and apologies if I don't reply straight away, I'm doing a little sneaky post on here while I'm at work, so might not be able to check back until tonight...

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i had my belt change but not the pump. jabba said the diesel pumps dont need changing like the petrol engines. (somthing about belts or pumps at different location, i aint got a clue tbh)
so i didnt get a new pump.....

you can always do it for peace of mind though...

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
based on cost thing, is people main decision and wanting things to be replaced that are known to be a failure point
easier to do at same time as is near to work for cambelt - less time off road and finance if all done at same time
part is £40 max

yellowyellow

Cheers all. It's going to jabba and for the extra seventy notes I reckon I'll get it done.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I always get the pump change whenever the belts are done on any car. Given the cost and minimal labour, its just not worth the risk. Full cambelt kit and auxillary belts too.

My father did his Corsa van belt last year and I asked him if he replaced the pump, to which I got the answer 'No why do I want to change that for, there's nothing wrong with it' Within weeks of the belt being fitted to the van he had the balls to mention to me that the pump had started to go.

It may not need replacing but as you're already there you might aswell.

VAG plastic impellar's are renowned for going especially on the petrol versions.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.