Mega overboost then finally limp mode

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Surely its just easier to get a small oil cooler? Still getting the correct boosting as your keeping the oil colder. You can allways block it off if its taking too long to get hot in the winter. In theory id imagine a front mount will only make your overboosting worse as the MAP sensor will see more colder air untill 3 bar and shut off earlier although before 3 bar you will see more power.

As ambient temps go up this problem will only occure more frequently as im sure you will already know :)

brad1

But surely 35psi of boost through a standard pd130 garret turbo is way too much?

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
Surely its just easier to get a small oil cooler? Still getting the correct boosting as your keeping the oil colder. You can allways block it off if its taking too long to get hot in the winter. In theory id imagine a front mount will only make your overboosting worse as the MAP sensor will see more colder air untill 3 bar and shut off earlier although before 3 bar you will see more power.

As ambient temps go up this problem will only occure more frequently as im sure you will already know :)

Do you know how a EDC works? And how the hardware works?:wtf:

brad1

How easy are oil coolers to fit and where abouts do i plumb one from, also how expensive are they?

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Well thats what i was thinking, as the oil is thinnner its getting hotter. What you using at the moment?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
You honestly should read what Majesty78 wrote

Now, read CAREFULLY

this is NOT a MAPPING issue. You just don't have the right map SENSOR for the ecu map.

So you may have the greatest tune in the world but it isn't responding properly because of an incorrect reading from a sensor.

Please replace with a 3Bar before you go saying that this theory is wrong

BTW a split boost line will not cause overboosting. PLEASE explain to me how if you have a boost leak you can over boost?
*Sigh*

You do not need a bigger map sensor for a remap on a PD130 turbo as the problem is ONLY happening because his oil temperatures are going through the roof.

I still think it is something else. Brad have a read of this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=179589&highlight=3bar+map+sensor

majesty78 said:
Oh mojo, i feel with you...i am almost in the same situation, but recieved some pm´s that i shouldnt bother because most of them users there have 0 knowledge and are only kind of "arselickers" to the vendors......(one of the vendors is my very special friend*g*)
As i stated that he can change mapping to see correct actaul/requested readings of boost with VAGCOM he called me kind of dumb and that i have a "magic" VAGCOM.....because he meant it is impossible to see more than 2601mbar.....*g**g**g*

Majesty78, we participate on tdiclub.com too so don't make out your the brains behind tdi tuning.

Last edited:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
How easy are oil coolers to fit and where abouts do i plumb one from, also how expensive are they?

You already have an oil cooler (if your engine code is AHF, 110bhp). As someone pointed out it's underneath the oil filter and is cooled by the coolant system (oil to water cooler rather than oil to air).

You seem to be confusing the problem somewhat. Your oil temperature isn't the cause of the overboost. It just so happens that your overboost is occurring when you have high oil temperatures, but it's not happening as a direct result of high oil temps. The oil thinning as it gets hotter means that the turbo is able to produce the maximum boost that the map is asking for, and this is too high for the MAP sensor to read, and hence the ecu reacts with a turbo shut down.

Your map is written to produce the boost that the turbo is providing, and the MAP sensor is unable to read the boost.

So, reduce the boost map to drop boost into the readable area of your existing MAP sensor, or fit a MAP sensor which is able to read the boost your turbo is set to produce.

Someone else asked, what grade oil are you using? Decent oil will help with stability of oil at high temperatures. Remember the oil cooler? As it's coolant driven, what's the state of your coolant system, as this will affect your oil temps if it's sludging up or blocked (don't read the engine temp gauge, as these are notoriously vague in operation)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
You already have an oil cooler (if your engine code is AHF, 110bhp). As someone pointed out it's underneath the oil filter and is cooled by the coolant system (oil to water cooler rather than oil to air).

You seem to be confusing the problem somewhat. Your oil temperature isn't the cause of the overboost. It just so happens that your overboost is occurring when you have high oil temperatures, but it's not happening as a direct result of high oil temps. The oil thinning as it gets hotter means that the turbo is able to produce the maximum boost that the map is asking for, and this is too high for the MAP sensor to read, and hence the ecu reacts with a turbo shut down.

Your map is written to produce the boost that the turbo is providing, and the MAP sensor is unable to read the boost.

So, reduce the boost map to drop boost into the readable area of your existing MAP sensor, or fit a MAP sensor which is able to read the boost your turbo is set to produce.

Someone else asked, what grade oil are you using? Decent oil will help with stability of oil at high temperatures. Remember the oil cooler? As it's coolant driven, what's the state of your coolant system, as this will affect your oil temps if it's sludging up or blocked (don't read the engine temp gauge, as these are notoriously vague in operation)
Good post.

What i will say is why is it overboosting only when it gets hot? When the temperatures are low there isnt overboosting. You would think it would be a problem from the outset?

brad1

I am not sure of the oil grade AmD in essex use, i will have to find out, i dont think my coolant have ever been changed and its done 107k now, well ive had it since 77k and its never had the coolant change, easiest way to do it cause then thats another thing off the list, could the overboosting be cause by where the turbo might have sticky vains, so the vains are staying open or closed to long and this is causing the overboost??

brad1

Good post.

What i will say is why is it overboosting only when it gets hot? When the temperatures are low there isnt overboosting. You would think it would be a problem from the outset?

That is correct, when the oil temp is like at 80c when cruising and then i have a spirited blast the overboost is nothing and it boosts fine, then the hotter the oil is getting the higher and more dangerous psi it is overboosting by

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
That is correct, when the oil temp is like at 80c when cruising and then i have a spirited blast the overboost is nothing and it boosts fine, then the hotter the oil is getting the higher and more dangerous psi it is overboosting by

I had exactly the same as this after my "hybrid" and you know the outcome. Hope you get it all sorted!

Brad I think if Ibiza 130 tdi had the same symptoms then take it to AmD to get it checked over.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Hiya brad1,

Just read all the thread and didn't see a mention of 'cooling' on the engine. Do your radiator fans work? When you say you the oil is getting to 150C, how do you know this?

brad1

Hiya brad1,

Just read all the thread and didn't see a mention of 'cooling' on the engine. Do your radiator fans work? When you say you the oil is getting to 150C, how do you know this?

I think the fans work lol, when should they kick in, and I've got a oil temp gauge mate

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.