nightflight

DPF Info - All CR-TDI Owners Should Read This

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The Exeo system differs somewhat as the engine is mounted lengthways so dont think they suffer.

Ian McN

Hi -I just got a new Ibiza CR 1.6 Tdi 5 door sport - can anyone please confirm the idle speed for this engine type - mine seems to tick over at 1000 -1100rpm even when the engine's warm and will on occasion drop down to 750 - 800rpm?
Thanks in anticipation

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Mine idles at about 750rpm normally. It does idle faster at about 1000rpm when the DPF is doing a regen cycle, but that said it has only done one regen in three months (that I have noticed)

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I have never noticed mine do a regen and I've done 6000 miles!

But id say 80% of my driving is on motorways - that will change come September so it will be interesting to see if I notice it more of even get a dreaded DPF light.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
The car will idle at 1000-1100rpm when doing a regen run and you'll feel the whole car shudder slightly on idle when it's doing so.
normally the car will idle at just under 1000rpm when moving, and then drop to 750-800rpm a second or two after coming to a stop.

Ian McN

Ibiza CR 1.6 Tdi mpg?

Can anyone give and indication of fuel consumption for this model? I'm still running mine in and averaging about 52mpg at present (on a no doubt tight engine) but when I first picked up the car it was doing 62mpg on a motorway (55-60mph) run. The mpg seems to be getting worse(!) yet I'm not a heavy footed driver - what's going on?!:think:

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
My car has done 4000 miles. On a recent 600 mile round trip to London and back I averaged 70mpg. Normal use commuting to work etc returns high 50's, I am pretty happy with mine to be honest.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
i'm averaging 38mpg on my daily commute, and can see anywhere from high forty's (70+mph) to mid 50's (60mpg) on motorway runs. low 60's i'v managed on a-road jaunts. though tbh, i've still not got over the joy of the turbo kicking in after 9 months, really should grow up and save some money!

Ian McN

Ibiza Mk 6 CR 1.6 Tdi 5 door Sport - front grill removal?

Got a honeycomb accessory trim to fit behind the front (badge) grill - can any one please advise as to how to remove this grill - it seems pretty well fixed in and I'm reluctant to apply too much force in the wrong direction to try and remove it, with the prospect of snapping the grill or worse(!) Any guidance would be gratefully received please.:confused:

Ian McN

Can anyone give and indication of fuel consumption for this model? I'm still running mine in and averaging about 52mpg at present (on a no doubt tight engine) but when I first picked up the car it was doing 62mpg on a motorway (55-60mph) run. The mpg seems to be getting worse(!) yet I'm not a heavy footed driver - what's going on?!:think:
Follow up - Best I've got so far is 75mpg (and even that figure was going up but I'd reached my journeys end!) and that's with an engine with less than 900 miles on so should get (even) better are the miles go on. MPG can be a bit erratic I've notice averaging from the low 50's upwards despite a consistent driving style over the same journey. Foot down I've seen single figures but it can shift and that turbo rush is a bit addictive.
Tyre pressures for the 215/40 17 wheel spec has been confirmed as, with half load - 30psi front and 28 rear and full load at 36psi front and 36 rear. Got to say SEAT UK were useless at confirming these figures - basically they were unable to do so and it took a number of calls to the supplying garage and them sending a jpeg image of a filler cap sticker from a like wheeled vehicle to confirm the advisory pressures were right.

Start-Up

I work as a driving instructor and purchased an Ibiza Eco in september last year. The car ran like a pig almost from new (i now think this was part of the DPF regenerating). After about 5000 miles I checked the oil to find it was way over the max mark. The main dealer inspected the car to find diesel contaminating the oil!

A report was sent to Seat who advised replacing the Tandem fuel pump.
Did not work

Another report sent to Seat who then advised replacing fuel injector seals.
Did not work.

Another report sent to Seat who then advised a new cylinder head!
Did not work.

Approaching 13000 miles the DPF light was coming on, on a daily basis. The oil was also being changed every 3 weeks approx.

The dealer said they have never seen this problem before. They eventually agreed to buy the car back and supply me with a new one.
The new car is about to turn 5000 miles and has the same problem. Oil level is now approx 15mm above the max mark. The car is going into garage on tuesday to check for diesel contamination (I know for a fact this is the problem).

After reading many other forums, and this tread, I believe that it is the DPF regeneration which is causing this. I know Mazda, Volvo, BMW and Peugeot among others are having this problem but have seen nothing about VW group cars.

Has anyone else had, or heard of this problem?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
It is indeed the constant regeneration cuased by frequent start/stop town driving.

The regenration works by injected extra fuel into the engine on the exhaust stroke (in addition to that injected during the ignition stroke). This extra fuel is supposed to vaporise and be exhausted, throught the DPF which contains a catalyst which, with the fuel vapour, burns off the soot particles in the DPF keeping it clean.

Unfortunately, not all the fuel vaporises, especially when the engine isn't fully warmed up, this un vaporised fuel remains in the cylinder, and drains down into the oil sump as the oil which lubricates the cylinder does.

thus, diluting the oil, obviously, the more the car regenerates, the more dilute the oil becomes.
the only solution is to either get a non-dpf car, or change your oil more frequently.

Mine's fairly bad for needing regen's, again, i do mainly cross town commutes of about 5 miles in start stop traffic, I always wondered why my oil level never went down despite other people reporting there new car was drinking oil like it was going out of fashion til I found the above out.

Re-reading, mine's no where near as bad as yours though. From a purely speculative PoV maybe your car needs some kind of ECU update to adjust the regen fueling characteristics/parameters so it doesn't kick in so frequently, though this would probably need to be done by SEAT HQ themselves.

Realistically, i think you should change the car for a petrol version as the ecomotive diesel obviosuly isn't right for the kind of use you require form it.

Last edited:

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Yep the dpf seems to be a nightmare on small journeys - in 7000 miles I've never had a DPF light or even felt me car do a regen, but that's because 70% of my journeys would be on the motorway so I assume it clears the DPF then and I never notice it.

The joys of living in the middle of nowhere!!!!

Ian McN

Got a honeycomb accessory trim to fit behind the front (badge) grill - can any one please advise as to how to remove this grill - it seems pretty well fixed in and I'm reluctant to apply too much force in the wrong direction to try and remove it, with the prospect of snapping the grill or worse(!) Any guidance would be gratefully received please.:confused:

Follow up - With some very helpful guidance from a fellow SCN member (thanks!) I managed to remove the grill - a little nerve racking I must say! - but the solution is to use plastic trim levers - or in my case plastic bike tyre levers - and that helped a lot. Very pleased with the result which is nice and subtle but provides that little bit more protection to the radiator. A highly recommend addition. Another worthwhile styling mod is to replace the front (& rear also I suppose) indicator bulbs for the silver versions - simple but effective.

Start-Up

It is indeed the constant regeneration cuased by frequent start/stop town driving.

The regenration works by injected extra fuel into the engine on the exhaust stroke (in addition to that injected during the ignition stroke). This extra fuel is supposed to vaporise and be exhausted, throught the DPF which contains a catalyst which, with the fuel vapour, burns off the soot particles in the DPF keeping it clean.

Unfortunately, not all the fuel vaporises, especially when the engine isn't fully warmed up, this un vaporised fuel remains in the cylinder, and drains down into the oil sump as the oil which lubricates the cylinder does.

thus, diluting the oil, obviously, the more the car regenerates, the more dilute the oil becomes.
the only solution is to either get a non-dpf car, or change your oil more frequently.

Mine's fairly bad for needing regen's, again, i do mainly cross town commutes of about 5 miles in start stop traffic, I always wondered why my oil level never went down despite other people reporting there new car was drinking oil like it was going out of fashion til I found the above out.

Re-reading, mine's no where near as bad as yours though. From a purely speculative PoV maybe your car needs some kind of ECU update to adjust the regen fueling characteristics/parameters so it doesn't kick in so frequently, though this would probably need to be done by SEAT HQ themselves.

Realistically, i think you should change the car for a petrol version as the ecomotive diesel obviosuly isn't right for the kind of use you require form it.

Thanks for the reply. After speaking with Seat earlier today it looks like they are going to play ignorant with this. As far as I'm now concerned, they have sold me a car not fit for purpose. Think I'll be paying a solicitor a visit in the next week or so.

Why the hell are manufacturers putting DPF's in supermini's which will spend most of their lives driving round town, to the shops and back?

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Well that's been an interesting read, i was looking at a Mk2 Leon ( DPF ) as a car, bearing in mind almost all of my mileage is local commuting < 20minutes each way, this looks like i'd be asking for a massive hole in my wallet and a trip to JBS for a DPF delete within 6 months of ownership.

Sod that for a game of cricket!

TTX

1.2TSI SE 5DR in Tribu
Jul 20, 2010
I was originally thinking about buying the diesel version, I'm glad I did lots of research on here first!

Cheers guys, you saved me from a potentially expensive mistake. :)

matt_t

i've just been billed £95 for a regeneration by the dealer on my 1.6 tdi ibiza. Its less than 12 months old with only 14 000 on the clock. Is this right? I thought the warranty only didn't cover replacing the dpf.
Also i've had it regenerated at a different garage before, and it was done under warranty.
Finally nightflight, it says in your article that loss of power and additional engine lights will appear at roughly 75%. However my dpf was at 89% saturation an was still running fine.
Can anyone tell me how you can tell if the ecu is trying to carry out a regeneration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members