My ARB has snapped!

Addo

cheers dj i never seen this post earlier

i've got 25mm front & 28mm rear for my daily driver there fine on the ibiza, until this happens:

Neuspeedarbbracketisbroken.jpg

Luckly jon from awesome is going to be sending a replace bracket down in before the end of the week. there american appearantly so its lucky they have stock in the form of kits.

Addo

I spoke to another guy at awesome monday and then jon tuesday and he's informed me that i'll have it today! this compoment seems to be a bit on the skinny side considering its function:think:

I might make a beefed up version but then again the pair did cost me £500 circia in the first place so why should i.

Secondly these have been on my car for 5000 miles and i intend on some serious track abuse this year.

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
Addo said:
I spoke to another guy at awesome monday and then jon tuesday and he's informed me that i'll have it today! this compoment seems to be a bit on the skinny side considering its function:think:

I might make a beefed up version but then again the pair did cost me £500 circia in the first place so why should i.

Secondly these have been on my car for 5000 miles and i intend on some serious track abuse this year.

echo your comments entirely, all 3 of mine that have broke, have done so in exactly the same place as in your pic. im gonna get the welding set out on mine and strenthen them.

Addo

My Handlling is back : )

This afternoon i've changed the bracket over.

newbracket001.jpg

dcd21fd3.jpg

newbracket006.jpg

Happy days!!!

Addo

Deejay said:
not strengthened it at all???

I've a spare one now to have as a tenplate. I've replace the broken bracket with a new neuspeed bracket as i need the car for my daily driver. Any stronger version can be tenplate from a spare.

Addo

not again.

Its making similar noises again, im going to check at lunch time to be sure i'll cross my fingers:(

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
Addo said:
Its making similar noises again, im going to check at lunch time to be sure i'll cross my fingers:(

wow!! came on to bump this post myself as mine is making "those noises again" also, this will be the 4th time a link has snapped on mine if thats the case!!!! going back to oe bar[:@]

Shock_Xe

spoke to adam today and his has snapped :( not good advertising for neuspeed

Addo

i had to cancel 18 holes this morning :(

Shock_Xe said:
spoke to adam today and his has snapped :( not good advertising for neuspeed

After investigating i can confirm that the driver side arb bracket has snapped [:@]

so i spent this afternoon stripping old one off and replacing with the new bracket they supplied me from last time. lucky i had a spare:blink:

ARBBracketbrokeagain018.jpg

ARBBracketbrokeagain043.jpg

ARBBracketbrokeagain046.jpg

im was hoping as its a different side that maybe they have strenghted it but from what you've been saying dee jay after your 4th bracket that isn't the case.

i rated the arb i really do but the bracket is complete :censored:

Chris Eyre

The Voice of Reason
Apr 2, 2003
researching
Visit site
max_torque said:
(as the wishbone pivots up and down it will move the end of the ARB, which is pivoting about a different point, hence as the 2 arcs move it requires the length of the bar to change, or in this case you end up putting huge sheer forces into the clevis. i'd put money on the fact that if you inspect the failure, you will see a shear failure begining on one side of the clevis, rather than a typical "necked" failure in vertical tension. The factory part uses a longer "link rod" to allow for the difference in wishbone and ARB arcs.

A similar bracket design is used on a Mk1 Golf Neuspeed front ARB - but mounted at the same height off the wishbone as standard, so the wishbone and ARB arcs are assumed to be the same.

Anyone running one one should definitely check the bracket to see if its distorting.

Addo

An update!

Just spoke to Jon @ Awesome and directed him to this thread, by doing this he can now view where the failure is taking place. He's advised me that he's going to forward this information to Neuspeed and discuss strengthing the bracket!

Secondly there isn't any spare brackets in stock for 2-3 weeks, so i hope this holds out till then.

I'll keep this thread updated as and when more info arrives.

Addo

awesomeade said:
Just a quickie to mention that i'm talking to Neuspeed about these and will let you know what they say...

Good to here, meanwhile when can you send the spare brackets out as its been two weeks and i dont want any problems as trackdays are fast aproaching.;)

awesomeade

Jul 3, 2003
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Addo - best call our sales guys to see if we have the brackets in...

Here's a reply i just received from Neuspeed:

"We have had no problem with the post breaking when installed properly.

The only time they break is if the customer installs the end links and tightens everything up with suspension at full droop. (When on a lift)

Because once the car is on the ground the sway bar ball joints are misaligned and put too much force on the bracket. The ball joints must be adjusted to the right length with the car on the ground.

Must customers do not read the instructions. This sway bar has been out for so long and we have had no problems"

Deejay

no prawn sarnies ere
Nov 8, 2002
ЯEPUБLIC OF MANCUNIA
awesomeade said:
Addo - best call our sales guys to see if we have the brackets in...

Here's a reply i just received from Neuspeed:

"We have had no problem with the post breaking when installed properly.

The only time they break is if the customer installs the end links and tightens everything up with suspension at full droop. (When on a lift)

Because once the car is on the ground the sway bar ball joints are misaligned and put too much force on the bracket. The ball joints must be adjusted to the right length with the car on the ground.

Must customers do not read the instructions. This sway bar has been out for so long and we have had no problems"

just to bump this post cos my droplinks have snapped again (been like this for a while now but been to busy to post).

will be in touch regards replacement, and for the record im replacing the parts from a mechanics pit not up in the air.........

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members