Parking Sensors

holtie

Jan 12, 2011
North Lincs
May be asking a previously asked question so sorry if it has been asked.

Is there a way of disabling the front parking sensors as 2 of mine (the outer most ones)are not working which makes the rear ones not work. If I can simply disable the front ones then the rear ones should work?

If not does anyone know if they can be repaired or how much replacements would be. I found they are the ones broken by putting car in reverse with ignition on and listening to each one in turn. Apparently if they are working a faint ticking noise can be heard. It may be a case of the wire has come off the back but I can not seem to get to them to have a look.

Any advise? Thanks

holtie

Jan 12, 2011
North Lincs
Update

Manages to get the sensors out by removing the thin plastic bumper strip that they are plugged into. One had a broken wire on the plug so repaired that. The other came out in 3 parts so going to scrapyards to see if they have any.

Now for I need to look at the cruise control not working (even when the green light comes on the dashboard). going to start with the clutch switch.

Then its the rear wiper - it's scraping the glass with the spring that holds the blade arm down and popping up the nut cover so the wash (which had come apart at the joint in the passenger footwell) hits the cover, not the screen.

Then lastly there the towbar to fit along with the 7 way bypass and split charge relays.

Should keep me busy for a bit!

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Lol at least you're getting there, I've heard of the brake pedal switch having something to do with cruise control. There might be 2 switches on it too.:)

holtie

Jan 12, 2011
North Lincs
Still no cruise control. Checked both brake and clutch switches (clutch has continuity when pedal is released and not when depressed - brake has 1 set of contacts that do the same as the clutch switch and another set that are opposite (for the brake lights)). I've had the stalk apart and cleaned/checked that which is OK. Any other ideas or is it a visit to the dealers?

Last edited:

Aaron75

Nov 7, 2015
How did you remove the trim ? mine is a 56 plate ? did your plastic trim merge with the reg plate ?
Step by step guide would be greatly appreciated

holtie

Jan 12, 2011
North Lincs
I've just been out to have a look as it was a few years ago. I prised the trim forward from near the wheel by inserting a screwdriver and twisting (you may want to use something else to help protect the paintwork although mine was OK) Once it had started I just pulled it out - I only needed to get the first sensor out so don't know about the trim around the number plate but I assume it is just clipped in the same. I took a couple of photos this morning but cannot upload them on this site. If you want me to email them to you could you send me your address in a message.

Last edited:

Dooitdooit

Jun 20, 2013
I had one faulty sensor at the rear which basically stopped the whole system. I bought a new sensor for £10 from ebay and it now works fine.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.