Arosa mk1 1.0 mpi running issues

Flys1nce86

Feb 11, 2014
Hi guys a little help please if any one has experienced the same issue.

I own a 1997 mk1 arosa 1.0 mpi which doesn't seem to idle properly, it feels like it's chugging (like a misfire) but once you pick it up off idle and start to drive it feels ok and I'm feeling a bit stuck with it.

I have replaced many parts which include: spark plugs, ignition leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, ignition coil, throttle body (second hand but had no fault codes where the old one did), lambda probe, map sensor and I have done the cambelt before the problem so the timing is spot on.

The car is throwing no faults in the vag com.

It's starting to drive me insane so if anyone has experienced this problem I would be most grateful for your input.

Many thanks.

Flys1nce86

Feb 11, 2014
No I haven't, I did think about that yesterday tho (almost too scared to do one)

Last edited:

paul.corbett.7

I have a seat arosa 1.0, and it runs rough on idle, but fine when you rev it, took the lead of spark plug 1, and there is no difference with the engine, but the sparkplug is ok

paul.corbett.7

You would think that the engine would run even worse without the number 1 sparkplug lead not connected

Flys1nce86

Feb 11, 2014
I solved it in the end, it was badly worn tappets. if I were you I would take the rocker cover off and have a look at the tappets, or you could be looking at head gasket (do a compression test because the compression was very down on cylinder 1)

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I did a thread on this in the Ibiza forum. I had this problem with our old Arosa 1.0. It turned out that the really rough idle was due to the throttle body becoming gunked up with recirculation crud. The butterfly in the throttle body is oval and sits in the round body. The two half moon shaped spaces allow air into the fuel system during idle, if the half moon spaces become blocked with crud the engine is starved of air on idle. Put your foot on the accelerator and it opens the butterfly and lets more air into the throttle body hence this is an idle only problem.

The solution is to remove the complete air filter and throttle body and give it a good clean. It works, I know dealers do this routinely. I recommend cleaning the throttle body every 30k miles.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.