Fuel Pump

sparks03

Nov 9, 2014
Hi folks

Sorry to be a nuisance (tried a forum search but didn't pick up anything relating) but i'm currently experiencing an issue with my 97 1ltr Arosa. Very recently its been stuttering under load eg, two fat chuffers on board and motorway speeds but this morning i've had a right game trying to get to work
The car fired up fine but within half a mile of home it was struggling to accelerate and rev up. Within a mile of home it was down to first and struggling to maintain any speed. Then it stalled. Left it a while and it started and drove but its definitely having trouble with the engine feeling somehow strangled when pushing on. It was used on national speed limit dual and single carriageways i've travelled today.
I've tried a new coil pack (had one spare) but not made any difference. Turned my attention to the fuel pump as the car has quite low mileage for its age- thought the motorway run may have knacked it a bit. Pump is noisy and currently drawing eight amps which seems high to me? Alas I have no frame of reference but recently checked the pump on my Mk2 Golf which is taking about five amps. It does however run on cabs rather than fuel injection however so isn't the best comparison.

I had half thought of the throttle body but the issue comes at different revs and always when trying to pick up speed/ maintain higher speeds. Any help gratefully appreciated

sparks03

Nov 9, 2014
Update- i've had the throttle body off this afternoon and there is a fair amount of oil in the air box and around the body itself but therein it doesn't appear the airbox has ever been removed/ opened. Cleaned it off and given the earth strap a good clean, some gunk in the breather pipe removed but still having issues.

Last edited:

sparks03

Nov 9, 2014
Updated once more- bizarrely it would appear that there has been a collapse in the exhaust (probably cat) which is causing backpressure into the engine and ultimately the stalling. Should be right as rain by morning!

sparks03

Nov 9, 2014
And there you have it. Back box had disintegrated- £29.10 for a new one and all is right again. Just to service it and treat it to a polish

Josephine

Dec 31, 2014
Updated once more- bizarrely it would appear that there has been a collapse in the exhaust (probably cat) which is causing backpressure into the engine and ultimately the stalling. Should be right as rain by morning!

Really agree with your words, it will be appear sometime and cause a back pressure.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members