diff problems

demonic pete

Apr 1, 2013
leeds
Evening all,i have a question regarding my other car a mk4 Golf gttdi pd130.I noticed it had started with a weird knocking noise which has got worse so i took it to a friends garage who has now diagnosed it as the diff is failing.Granted i have had the car 13 years as my daily and it owes me nothing and it stands on 123k.He has basically said he has to drop the box which hes charging mates rates for but does anyone know how much it is to have the diff reconditioned and the clutch and fly wheel are also original.Do i look at getting it fixed or go get another cos its not worth fixing and this isn't the xmas present i needed.Thanks in advance :cry:

demonic pete

Apr 1, 2013
leeds
Update: car has stopped making noises but the price came back at 600 for diff and fitting plus the price of a clutch and fly wheel so it looks like bye bye golf and hello something new.

demonic pete

Apr 1, 2013
leeds
update 2:bye bye golf hello Focus st 3,fell on a minter at Stratstone Bmw with all the parts i wanted on it.Still got the lcr but keeping miles off it until she wants to sell it next year, so all good apart from the 5 figure hole in my pocket lol.Have a happy new year all

demonic pete

Apr 1, 2013
leeds
knocking sound from underneath the car,which on got worse over time then a couple of days before xmas got bad especially when turning which we thought cracked spring or cv joint.We took it on xmas eve to a friends garage who lifted it up and there was nothing then he put it on his mot rollers and put pressure on the front wheels and it started doing it.But to be honest i think it was making the sound for a while it just got worse,he said diff and dont do long journeys so i chopped it in to be safe.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members