Wire in door snapped.

Woody87

Apr 4, 2016
Hi I have an 03 1.9tdi 115pd engine auy Alhambra. A wire in the drivers side door (in between door and body)has snapped and have lost all controls apart from I can wind the passenger window down but not up. Can anyone advise on what cable to use and what rating it needs to be. Or how to find out what the wire rating is. Many thanks for any help

90landrover

Jul 1, 2008
Rhondda,S Wales
There are various size wires used depending on which circuit it actually is ranging from 0.5 to 4.0 but mostly either 0.5 or 2.5. If you can give me wire colour I may be able to give you more info I.E. is it mirrors, windows, door lights or speaker. There are wiring diagrams in the Haynes Galaxy manual that give the wire sizes.

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
Same thing happened mine in the passenger rear door, I went to local breakers and he gave me a section of engine wiring loom it had every thickness and colour I needed, was a right pain as loads of the wires were on their last thread of wire so was more work than I expected

Woody87

Apr 4, 2016
Thanks for your replies still haven't got round to fixing it. had a look the other day( needed to get some air with al these we've had )and while trying to hold to wires together could see that at least one other wire was looking a bit cracked and bent. I think I have a scrap car yard near me so will pop out there this week and see if I can get some. I tried to crimp it back together but the wire isn't long enough.

Woody87

Apr 4, 2016
90landrover it's a red wire. But it's strange because i can wind DOWN the passenger window but not back up. Drivers window has nothing, door lock/unlock switch doesn't work and the same for the mirrors no power to any of them. The wire that looks close to snapping is orange. Both of them in the drivers side wiring loom between door and pillar. I haven't checked passenger side but suspect the same thing.
Any other advice on easiest way to get to them would be great. At the moment my plan is to remove door card and the casing over the loom. If I can that is

Dooitdooit

Jun 20, 2013
I had similar problem with front passenger door so i just took it to the garage and for £50 they sorted it. There were 2/3 snapped wires so i just thought it would be easier for them to sort out. When i took the door card off i accidentally snapped one of the plastic retainers and it was just too messy!
All i'm trying to say is that it might be less hassle to get the garage to do it.