Car Broken Into

Stevo1725

Sep 12, 2013
Bradford
Hi guys

I know I haven't posted much before but i was just looking for some advice. my car got broken into tonight by some chav off a council estate :censored: and the satnav was stolen that come in the mk5 2013 face lift model the Garmin model. i was just wondering if anyone knows whether claiming for a broken window through the insurance will put my premiums up and will then be counted as a claim and affect my no claims discount? i contacted the police and was given a crime number and everything I am not really bothered about the satnav as they are absolute garbage and would rather swap the head unit to something better.

if anyone can get back to me about this it would be greatly appreciated.

:(

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
not 100% but I think the windows don't affect your premiums.
I think you will have to pay the excess but wont affect insurance.
my windscreen smashed on my previous golf just before I sold it and only had to pay excess so I presume the other windows would be covered.

Deleted member 103408

Sorry to hear your bad news.

I just checked on the web and the general opinion appears to be if you are just claiming for the Window it does not impact your NCB, But its worth a call to your insurance company and just ask. However you will have to pay the excess and I think you will also have to declare it on your next renewal as a claim so it could impact your next premium. Might be worth checking out what a second hand window will cost you from the scrappers.

Sorry that does not help

One other thing I just saw on my insurance company web site when looking for an answer

If your windscreen includes Advanced Driving Assistance Systems (ADAS) which needs to be recalibrated, you’ll have to claim this under the Accidental Damage section of your policy, which will affect your No Claim Discount unless protected. This is because ADAS recalibration isn’t currently available through windscreen repairers.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yup, crap, I reported that a windscreen repair on my daughter's Ibiza needed re-repairing, as insurance companies change their windscreen repair agents regularly, I was charged for fixing that previous stone chip repair, I tried to get the original repairer to do it for me, but as they had replaced their office management systems soft ware - that means at all previous records are binned, they could not identify that repair so refused.

Anyway, to get back to the point, I noticed on her next insurance renewal that both windscreen chip repairs were still being shown as actions taken in the past, so yes, they have you every way and will ask for more money if you report this! By the way, maybe the next years premium went up quite a lot, but the next year's premium was about 60% more for no real accident claims, at next renewal time she changed insurers and save a large lump of money, and probably will keep doing so as insurance companies do not reward any customer loyalty.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members