Lost power to air con/stereo console then n/s Wiper (Cordoba 2000)

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
Hi, new user here. This relates to a 2000 Cordoba .cool/S but I'm pretty sure the equip is the same as the Ibiza so I'm posting here too:

I know there is a known electrical issue with the radio/aircon console. I used to have it come on by itself and ended up taking out the fuse.

The problem suddenly disppeared when I had a new alternator fitted recently and everything was hunky dory for a while. Until a few days ago when after a cold spell, the stereo console wouldn't switch on then died completely (no display, nothing). Checked/swapped the fuse - no change.

Now the passenger side wiper has stopped working. Driver's side is fine.

From scouring the net I get the feeling this is all to do with loose/damaged electrical connections behind the stereo, and a first step would be to take off that console panel and see if I can spot any loose wiring. Does that seem right or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any advice appreciated.

ahm

Jul 3, 2014
Hi, new user here. This relates to a 2000 Cordoba .cool/S but I'm pretty sure the equip is the same as the Ibiza so I'm posting here too:

I know there is a known electrical issue with the radio/aircon console. I used to have it come on by itself and ended up taking out the fuse.

The problem suddenly disppeared when I had a new alternator fitted recently and everything was hunky dory for a while. Until a few days ago when after a cold spell, the stereo console wouldn't switch on then died completely (no display, nothing). Checked/swapped the fuse - no change.

Now the passenger side wiper has stopped working. Driver's side is fine.

From scouring the net I get the feeling this is all to do with loose/damaged electrical connections behind the stereo, and a first step would be to take off that console panel and see if I can spot any loose wiring. Does that seem right or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any advice appreciated.
My other half's car had problems with random electrical death, and that was found to be water in the fuse box. Not sure if that's worth a check?

My ibiza has a single wiper motor with a mechanical linkage to drive both wipers, dunno if it's the same system in the Cordoba. When I had a single wiper fail the mechanical linkage was the culprit.

Of course it chose a torrential downpour in the dark while cruising along the M8 to drop the driver's side wiper...

Sorry if this isn't a huge amount of help!

Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
I fixed the wiper problem - turns out the linkage to the other wiper was literally separated and I've just reattached it, so it wasn't a related electrical fault.

The stereo/air con seems dead but I've managed to take out the head unit and will have a look to investigate!

ahm

Jul 3, 2014
I fixed the wiper problem - turns out the linkage to the other wiper was literally separated and I've just reattached it, so it wasn't a related electrical fault.

The stereo/air con seems dead but I've managed to take out the head unit and will have a look to investigate!
Good to hear! My temporary fix was to cable this the ends together while I waited for a new linkage to arrive. You might need a new part as once its worn enough to fall out once, it'll just keep falling apart.

Let us know if you find anything. My understanding was that the stereo fascias were pretty problematic, and the fix was replacing the whole fascia. Would be nice not to have to!

Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
Well remarkably after some poking around, disconnecting and reconnecting the unit seemed to have brought it back to life. The only problem now is that when I turn the ignition off, the red backlight flashes non-stop every second or so. The unit doesn't switch on it's just the backlight. Will have to go back to removing the fuse but at least te air con and stereo now work.

stevelondon

Jan 10, 2018
Annoying this. The stereo headunit seems to work fine but will die after a day or so. Every time it dies, I can revive it by disconnecting the power at the back and reconnecting it. Then it'll work fine (aircon, radio, cassette all fine) for another day or 2 and then die again.

Annoying because it means the unit overall is sound, I just have to figure out why it keeps dying and reviving. I thought there might be some kind of internal battery on the PCB but I couldn't spot it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.