Oil...What to use in your TDI

AbdulW87

Feb 16, 2014
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I have got a couple of SEATs, i checked opieoils.co.uk to get a recommendation and got some pretty interesting recommendations.

For my Leon (02 Reg) SDi, i got 5W-40 VW 505 01, 502 00

For my Ibiza FR 130 PD (54 reg), i got 5W/30 VW 504 00, 507 00

is that right? something doesnt seem right with the Ibiza recommendation.
I use both cars for work, the SDi weekly mileage is around 300 and for Ibiza is around 500 miles with a lot of start stop.

Should i go with the recommendations i already got or would you suggest something different.

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Hi

The site is basing the recommendations on the standard VW specs for those years and also where the car might have a DPF or long life servicing. As far as I am aware, the Ibiza won't have a DPF, so the site is recommending a 507.00 oil as it may be on a long life service schedule. If it's not on a long life schedule, there would be no issue in using one of the 505.01 oils in that as well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-742-vw-engine-oil.aspx

Cheers

Tim

AbdulW87

Feb 16, 2014
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Bought the Ibiza a few weeks ago so not sure what the servicing history is exactly or what kind of oil was used but got it serviced from the garage and they definitely put the cheap oil so wanted to get it changed myself.
I read a few more posts and vag forums and got a 5W40 505 01 for the Ibiza. Should I put the same in the SDi or should I go with 505 00 5W40 thinking it's a non PD engine. Thanks.

Hi

The site is basing the recommendations on the standard VW specs for those years and also where the car might have a DPF or long life servicing. As far as I am aware, the Ibiza won't have a DPF, so the site is recommending a 507.00 oil as it may be on a long life service schedule. If it's not on a long life schedule, there would be no issue in using one of the 505.01 oils in that as well.

Cheers

Tim

Last edited:

ASQ1983

Apr 27, 2017
Kendal
After done loads of research and asking top mechanics arond me I found that best oil solution for LEON MK1 1.9 TDI PD150 150HP+ is:

Millers Oils XF Longlife 5W40 - High Performance Fully Synthetic its 505.01 PD engine oil and made in UK .

Last edited:

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Hi

That is a good oil for them.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim, I'm due an oil and filter service on my seat leon FR TDI 2004. I'm going to go with the millers XF as recommended above. I seem to remember that you used to do a filters service pack for these, but they don't appear to be available on your website, but the filters are available separately. Any chance you could do a forum deal please mate? :)

Also, the car has done 210,000 miles so are there any other oils or perhaps different viscosities that might be better for an engine with this type of mileage on it?

mat

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.