5th Gear or 6th

Smartiemnx

Italian Smoke Machine
Dec 10, 2005
Glasgow
www.clubmonox.com
Have been reading through the thread on Economy, and seems there are many different opinions out there.....

Doing say 80 with cruise on in 6th, am I getting better economy than I would in 5th ??

Looking at the Computer read out suggests that I am getting better in 6th, but saying that as soon as start going up a hill it looks like its using a hell of a lot more, than if I was going up the same hill in 5th

I'm confused, can anyone help ??

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
At 80-ish there's actually not that much difference between cruising in 5th or 6th .... sometimes I'll do a long m-way trip and stay in 5th at 85-ish to let the engine rev a bit and clear it out, and I still get 52 - 53 mpg.

The real difference is, it's noisier in 5th .... although it's also more fun when you floor it to p*ss off a tailgater ;)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
IMHO 6th is fine when at that kind of speed; the engines turning fast enough that the turbo's spooled up and quite responsive.

At lower speeds, if the turbo's starting to drop off boost and you need a heavier foot to pick up speed again, a lower gear would be better.
When off boost and trying to accelerate, the PDs overfuel to try and help spool the turbo up; so if you're constantly dropping off boost because of being in a high gear and then flooring it to pick up speed again, it is usually more economical to drop a gear.

6th on the Ibiza PD130 Sports is very high, I rarely use it below 60mph, lower gears give better economy.
And on the motorway, in 6th, I find the mpg seems to peak at around 80mph - which is roughly at the engine speed where peak torque is developed.

Smartiemnx

Italian Smoke Machine
Dec 10, 2005
Glasgow
www.clubmonox.com
muddyboots said:
IMHO 6th is fine when at that kind of speed; the engines turning fast enough that the turbo's spooled up and quite responsive.

At lower speeds, if the turbo's starting to drop off boost and you need a heavier foot to pick up speed again, a lower gear would be better.
When off boost and trying to accelerate, the PDs overfuel to try and help spool the turbo up; so if you're constantly dropping off boost because of being in a high gear and then flooring it to pick up speed again, it is usually more economical to drop a gear.

6th on the Ibiza PD130 Sports is very high, I rarely use it below 60mph, lower gears give better economy.
And on the motorway, in 6th, I find the mpg seems to peak at around 80mph - which is roughly at the engine speed where peak torque is developed.

cool, this is kinda what i was thinking, i've come into the 150 from a 110 , so its just a bit of getting used to i think....

Cheers.....

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I find the "sweet spot" for best economy and a quick / safe cruising speed is 2,600rpm / 82mph in 6th (Passat PD130) but that's probably also because of the aerodynamics of the car ..... this gives a typical instant mpg reading of about 60-65mpg.

It isn't much more economical below this figure and above 2,800 rpm / 90mph the mpg starts to drop off quite sharply.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Still not convinced so I stick to indicated 70mph in 6th. I return 55's regularly. Might try an indicated 80 run one week maybe.

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
My gut feeling is that at motorway speeds the aerodynamic (in)efficiency of the car becomes more important than the fuel efficiency of the engine. I doubt you'll see a great deal of difference - so just stick it in 6th gear and enjoy the quieter sound. At 70, my TDI FR Ibiza is doing about 2100 rpm and it certainly doesn't feel like the engine is labouring.

KevinG

Anything around 70 mph seems to return better mpg in 5th gear than the same speed in 6th - which is quite tall and becomes very sensitive to the smallest incline it seems.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Even on a motorway with cruise? Might try it next week then. How are you seeing that Kevin? Just on the instant read out? I tried 67 in 6th and 75 in 6th and it was better at 67mph. If it's over a full tank i might be more convinced as just doing 40mile or say can vary too much on how you drive and if you get some clown on your arse.

KevinG

Hello Andy, yes this is on a motorway, but no cruise. :(

I guess I'm talking mainly about the 65-70mph range. And yes, its the instant readout so maybe not all that accurate.....

At 80, I find 6th the best.

Weird because a friend who has a Vauxhall Signum (?) 1.9 TDi and his sweet spot is ~60mph in 6th?

Maybe its me. :rolleyes: and yes clowns a-plenty (the m4 in rush hour)

Last edited by a moderator:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Of course it all depends on the engine in question, at what rpm peak torque/efficiency is developed, and gear ratios - so it will vary quite a bit between different car models.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
AndyVTR said:
Even on a motorway with cruise? Might try it next week then. How are you seeing that Kevin? Just on the instant read out? I tried 67 in 6th and 75 in 6th and it was better at 67mph. If it's over a full tank i might be more convinced as just doing 40mile or say can vary too much on how you drive and if you get some clown on your arse.

andy dont forget you need to try it with inclines, thats when the effect in fuel economy would be noticed. Working harder in 6th will use more fuel going up hills that being in 5th with a few more revs and less labouring.

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
I change down when the rev counter just goes under 2k on busy / hilly bits of motorway. That way your not labouring the engine if you know your gonna hit a hill or are going to have to slow up and accelerate again.

That said, if you're on a real flat piece of road and you can safely say that you will be able to waft along for a while without the need to accelerate further, then the 6th will give you greater fuel economy e.g. you can do about 60mph in 6th @1200 rpm and it wont labour the engine so long as you dont need to apply more throttle to overcome a hill or accelerate. :)

But it gets a bit boring after about half a mile so you drop it into an appropriate gear and floor it :D

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
sssstew said:
that speeds not for me, i tend to think the pigs will pull you at 90-100, but they arent gonna bother about 80 or so.
Snap.

Also, we've been talking about economy at motorway-type speeds. The ultimate economy will be had on roads where you are typically sat in a steady convoy doing 40-50mph on level roads, where your foot is hardly touching the throttle.
That's where you start getting into 60-70+mpg territory :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.