GUIDE: Fitting Dension Gateway 100 (or other iPod connector)

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
I currently own a 56 plate tdi fr 2006. I have the full mfd2 sat nav and display unit with iPod under the seat. I also get no albums names etc also. What do I need to do to get this and will this work with the iPhone 3gs and 30gb iPod video. Any help be appreciated.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I currently own a 56 plate tdi fr 2006. I have the full mfd2 sat nav and display unit with iPod under the seat. I also get no albums names etc also. What do I need to do to get this and will this work with the iPhone 3gs and 30gb iPod video. Any help be appreciated.

This isn't possible with the Dension can bus unit, or least it wasn't with the dension unit I had in mine.

Doomsnite

Jul 29, 2009
Thanks for that post Leon.

So to clarify, I have a non bluetooth MK2, so if I install one of these kits, the only way I can view track names is on the ipod itself? How about skipping tracks and albums? As my standard Leon stereo isnt an mp3 one either... wish I checked when I bought it.

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Thanks for that post Leon.

So to clarify, I have a non bluetooth MK2, so if I install one of these kits, the only way I can view track names is on the ipod itself? How about skipping tracks and albums? As my standard Leon stereo isnt an mp3 one either... wish I checked when I bought it.
The only way you'll be able to view track information is on the ipod itself, and only when the Dension gateway is in 'ipod UI' mode. When it is in 'ipod GW' mode the ipod screen will just display a logo and a version number.
In either mode you'll be able to skip to the next track or previous one (as you would on a normal CD) using '<<' and '>>' on the steering wheel or head unit.
You should also be able to select the first 5 playlists on your ipod using the preset number buttons 1-5 on the head unit if you make 5 playlists on the ipod numbered '1', '2' etc and put the stuff you want to listen to in them.
You can select 'all tracks' on the ipod using preset button 6. (So doing that and turning on random will do shuffle play from the anything on the ipod)
The head unit not being the MP3 version won't affect the control of the ipod as far as I know.

Last edited:

nameloc

Hi to all (Mr LeonMunkee in particular)...

Just wanted to say thanks for the information re Leon Dension kits - fitted mine today, it's great!!

A couple of things to add to the points discussed..

My SEAT dealer could not get the required version (with a C in the part no.) - this turns out to be because it's a Volkswagen unit that just happens to work on the Leons with bigger MFD screen (bluetooth models).

The model number appears to be different now - its now GW16VC1 (6 instead of 5).

Took me longer than it should as I had never been in the sub-menues of my MFD - my bad!!

Anyway, thanks again for the invaluable guidance - PICS are brilliant!!)

Matt

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
I've just discovered on Dension's website the Car Compatibility PDF:

http://www.dension.com/download.php?file=20091202webcompatibility.pdf

This has recently been updated and gives more information that the standard table does.

Does anyone know what head unit model the new facelifted Leon Mk2's have in them, as I've had a couple of PMs asking how to get them working with the Dension boxes...?

**UPDATE**
New compatibility table on Dension's website: http://www.dension.com/download.php?file=seat-16-02-10.pdf
Looks like facelifted Leon's may use the SE250 head unit

Last edited:

ragz

Mar 21, 2010
sorry if this sounds like a stupid question

is it possible to connect one of these to a mfd3 HU

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
sorry if this sounds like a stupid question

is it possible to connect one of these to a mfd3 HU

So long as the MFD3 supports the standard VAG CD changer interface then it should work fine.

If you've got the Bluetooth option on your car (and therefore the large multi-function display in the instrument cluster), make sure you get the CAN bus version to display the track names. As mentioned in earlier posts, that'll be the version that has 'C' in the model number.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2008
Just a quick post to say thankkkkkkkkkkkkks for the guide.

Took me less than 10 mins to fit :D

IMG00123-20100526-1217.jpg

willyeckaslike

Hi Guys

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post, so please be gentle :)

Just picked up my 55 plate MK2 2.0 TDI DSG Leon - VERY happy with it so far - much more nimble than the tank (AKA Mondeo) I used to have :)

My first little project is to add an iPod adapter - I have the basic (i.e. non-MP3) radio/CD HU fitted. There is no blue-tooth option fitted, so I just have the regular digital display on the instrument panel.

After reading through the thread I am still a little confused and wonder if any of you could just clarify:

• will my HU be able to display any information other than track number and time elapsed?

• does the Dension come with the iPod connection cable or is that seperate?

• which Dension is the best one to get for my HU?

• what is the current part number for the right Dension?

Thanks in advance :)

willyeckaslike

I went ahead and ordered a Gateway 100 and it's all fitted ok, and I can hear music from the iPod no problem, however I'm having some problems browsing and selecting tracks via both the HU and steering wheel controls...

My understanding was that if I created playlists numbered 1,2,3 etc on the iPod, these would correspond with with the appropriate CD selection, but this doesn't seem to work - if I select a CD number, the HU says 'loading CD', but then just carries on playing the track that was already on. None of the CD selection buttons seem to have any effect.

In addition, at the moment the iPod is in GW mode, so I just get the Dension logo on screen. I can't change it to iPod mode using the instructions on Dension's website.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
I'd be interested to hear about this too.

I have 06 2.0 TDI with standard MP3 HU & Bluetooth with larger MFD. Nearly got something fitted last year but funds had to go elsewhere!

Willyeckaslike, can I ask where you bought your Dension & how much it cost?

Also, any idea of part code required?

Cheers

willyeckaslike

Well mine's a (December '05) 55 plate MK2 2.0 TDI Sport with a NON-mp3 HU, and without bluetooth, so just the standard instrument panel.

I ordered the Dension from ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk for £127.97, which included the cable, so I think the price is ok.

The order ref states "1 x Seat ice>Link Gateway 100 (GW16AU2/VW1)", but I'd have to remove it from behind the HU again to double check if there's a model number printed on the unit itself.

The order details do also state "Vehicle and Radio: Seat with RCD 300, RCD 500 & RNS4 Radios" - I think mine is the RCD 300?

I'm happy that I've ordered the right one - though I suppose that still leaves the possibility that they sent the wrong one...

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Thanks for checking.

Not sure what my HU is. When someone had a look last year mentioned something about quadlock fitting(?) but I know nothing about them.

Hope you get it sorted & will hopefully have one myself in (near) future.

Cheers

willyeckaslike

I think quadlock refers to the connector on the back of the HU. The Dension comes with a cable for that - it fitted my HU just fine.

usarwar

I have a 58 plate leon with standard mp3 HU and bluetooth option. I have a gateway 100, was just wondering is there anyway to fit this so the aux port will still work??

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Well mine's a (December '05) 55 plate MK2 2.0 TDI Sport with a NON-mp3 HU, and without bluetooth, so just the standard instrument panel.
The order ref states "1 x Seat ice>Link Gateway 100 (GW16AU2/VW1)", but I'd have to remove it from behind the HU again to double check if there's a model number printed on the unit itself.
Note that the 'VW1' part will not be CAN-BUS compatible, so although fine for you it won't provide the integration with the large MFD (instrument cluster display) on cars with the bluetooth option - you'll need a 'VCx' part for that.
The order details do also state "Vehicle and Radio: Seat with RCD 300, RCD 500 & RNS4 Radios" - I think mine is the RCD 300?
The RCD head units are VW ones - the Seat ones fitted to the Mk2 pre-facelift Leons are different.

Take a look at post #59 of the thread for info on (amongst other things) head unit numbers.

I think quadlock refers to the connector on the back of the HU
It does indeed. Quadlock is the name for the multi-connection square connector used on many VAG head units.

I have a 58 plate leon with standard mp3 HU and bluetooth option. I have a gateway 100, was just wondering is there anyway to fit this so the aux port will still work??
If you can identify which pins are used to connect the audio from the Aux-In port to the head unit, and separate them out, you should be able to wire a standard 3.5mm jack plug on the end and connect it to the jack socket on the Dension. Just don't try and use both the iPod and Aux-In at the same time :)

Last edited:

mid life fr

fitted Dension

Cheers Leonmunkee
Your bit showing how to fit the Dension gateway was a great help.I just fitted the Gateway 100 GW16VC1 which was so easy to fit apart from removing the head unit, could not get it out so went to my local Seat dealer.Gave one of the lads a couple of quid and he removed it in seconds went home fitted the Dension and it works great with all the full display of the artists etc on the mfd
Certainly well worth the money

many thanks

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.