GUIDE: Mk2 Leon Brakes - Info, Upgrades, and Maintanance.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Mk5 Golf is essentially the same car so can't see it going too far wrong!

blocky

Just got myself a set of brembo's 4 pot 20.4692.00 (apparently for a porsche) for my FR550, but they have came with pad without wear indicators.

Will this cause a problem and display the brake problem light or can I purchase pads with wear indicators.
If so does anyone know the part numbers?

Thanks

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
The tool I was after was a 14mm Spline Bit. This is required to release the 2 bolts for the rear caliper carriers.

Went out and bought one at 25euros. Bloody too long can get it in when its on the knuckle bar Grrrrr. Put the new pads in while it was in bits.

Need a shorter socket to get the rest of the caliper off to get the old disk out. :-(

What sort of mileage are people doing the back disks & pads?

frost87

Mar 25, 2010
Doncaster
Went out and bought one at 25euros. Bloody too long can get it in when its on the knuckle bar Grrrrr. Put the new pads in while it was in bits.

Need a shorter socket to get the rest of the caliper off to get the old disk out. :-(?

I did exactly the same! I've been told that you can manoeuvre the disc out without removing the calliper carrier of though so gonna give that a go. Whether it's possible or not, I'll soon find out! No idea why they couldn't have used a hex bolt like they have on the front :confused:

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
I did exactly the same! I've been told that you can manoeuvre the disc out without removing the calliper carrier of though so gonna give that a go. Whether it's possible or not, I'll soon find out! No idea why they couldn't have used a hex bolt like they have on the front :confused:

Ive bought a 14mm spline bit on its own not as part of a socket. Going to weld it to a length of bar. Will update when I get round to doing it :thumbup:

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Interesting post.. My Disks were changed to EBC Ultimaxes with Blackdiamond pads on the front and OEMs on the rear. The code I see on my invoice shows the pads as 1K0698451J though and its a 2.0 TDI 140, I wonder what the difference is between the last letters.

Curious to know more about replacing backplates without removing the stub axle though.. but wouldn't want to hack into them.
I would like to replace mine by myself but my handbrake cable is playing up so might just get a mechanic to do the work so that can be looked at as well.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Hi

I do have small problem I change my brake pads for new ones over the weekend and looks like they do not brake as the one before my feeling is like this ones do not have enough power to stop disc this is normal or I should be worried as I do have MOT in few days

stumack

Feb 11, 2008
tried to change my rear pads today but the bloody piston isn't for moving. well, it moved about 4 mil. keeping going back to it every so often but fook me its not for moving rewind tools got a nice wee bit on the collar for getting a spanner onto it tho.

Traction

Nov 4, 2011
Anybody know if there's a way to replace the brake shields without working on the wheel bearings?

Last edited:

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Replied to your thread. Remove caliper, mounting bracket and disc and screw back on. Recommend using threadlock.

Fish

Stupots

Hello,

Have a 55-plate TDI 140 and rear splash/dust shield has perforated/rusted right through. Does anyone know of any good quality aftermarket replacements that are made out of something other than recycled coke cans like the OEM parts (maybe SS)?

Thanks,
Stuart

Fishy

May 16, 2005
The OEM parts are only a couple of quid. Speak to Dave at Sears.

Fish

cupra2008

Jan 10, 2008
Any idea how to get to the ABS pump? Suspect/hope a poor connection to the sensor there (dash light on) and want to check before it goes to the garage.

Mark1962

2007 1.9 TDI Stylace brake upgrade

I believe my Front disks will be 280 x 25 Vented with PR-1ZM/1ZF calipers.
I would like to upgrade to 312 x 25 Vented but the calipers stated are different (PR-1LJ FN3)
Q1. can I still use my calipers with this size disk (312 x 25 )
Q2. If so would the caliper carriers need replaceing (which ones?)