Error: stabilisation control (ESC) help

Lpurcell

Nov 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

I went out this morning to go to work and I got 'error: stabilisation control (ESC)'. The car wouldn't turn over at all, just completely dead! I had a look online and someone suggested could be a low battery, but tested the battery and am getting 12.5v.

Any ideas as to what this could be? And if there's a fix that won't cost a bomb? It's a mk2 Leon by the way.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
If your battery is giving a reading of 12.5 volts, there's a possibility it's knackered. A healthy battery should be reading a little more than this (~13V).

If you can get a jump start, measure the voltage across the battery with the engine running. A healthy battery should read 14.0-14.8 Volts while the engine is running. Anything less and it's probably gubbed.

Lpurcell

Nov 30, 2017
I did try and jump it with no luck, not even trying to crank. I didn't take a measurement across the battery when I was trying to jump it. The other thing I forgot to mention is the steering has gone really really light with the ignition on but obviously without the engine running.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I thought a healthy battery should show max 12.6v. I just replaced my 6 year old factory battery. At 11.7v it was still starting perfect. But didn't want to to get caught out for winter. The brand new varta silver is showing 12.45v (but I have a few extras connected to the electrics). If it's not cranking at all maybe starter motor or solenoid?

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Is there any strangeness from the dials when you put the ignition on?

Happened to my old golf and my partners 08 Ibiza, was just a bad earth so the car doesn’t try crank at all.

In saying that actually I diagnosed it with putting the earth jump cable from the battery to the engine and it started first time so can’t be that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk