Installing new radio system

matara_7

Sep 18, 2017
Hi, my name is Ivan, I'm a 21yo Croatian who lives in Germany.
I'm a proud owner of Seat Leon 1.6 TDI and as much happy to have it as my first car.
I did a lot "on budget" changes such as repainting some parts with FOLIATEC spray.
Now I'm onto bigger things, and radio system is one of them.
Since I bought a basic model from 2013 it has a 5,5'' display without navigation system. (6 buttons radio system).
Now I want to upgrade it to one with Navi since i travel alot. So I found on german eBay used one for around 250e. So my question becomes: "Is it enough to change just a display (with its back) or do I need to change something which is in glove box?"
Please don't laugh at me since I'm still a noob in this world of cars.
:whistle:

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Hi Ivan, I own a brand new Seat Leon FR 1.8 Facelift model.

This model came with an 8" display, the system is split into two parts

There is the screen, and thar is the main head unit in the glove box compartment.

From what I see, the old Infotainment system came as a one unit (screen + main unit).

Also I have heard that the main units come locked / coded to one specific car it originally came with.

Hope that you'll find this information helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matara_7

Sep 18, 2017
yanivkoval, thanks for your reply.
Yeah, those 2 things are the ones I'm most concerned about, since it's not changing just a display.
Maybe someone will reply with the best solution possible in this case.
I don't know, I'm not a big fan of Third Party stuff, I like to keep it original.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Hi Ivan, I own a brand new Seat Leon FR 1.8 Facelift model.

This model came with an 8" display, the system is split into two parts

There is the screen, and thar is the main head unit in the glove box compartment.

From what I see, the old Infotainment system came as a one unit (screen + main unit).

Also I have heard that the main units come locked / coded to one specific car it originally came with.

Hope that you'll find this information helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "old" navi-infotainment system had also a "screenunit" on the dash and a "main" unit in the glovebox compartment.
So besides updated specs for the 8"system nothing changed regarding component placement.

Last edited:

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
I looked into swapping out my MIB1 nav system for an MIB2 unit and it's going to cost £1300 with used parts. Only units with certain part numbers can be hacked for use as each unit is locked to the vin number with component protection.

So no it's not as simple as just buying a new screen and drive unit

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
But your dealer can activate the upgraded system you build in in a few mins.
When they want. They can 4sure because it is done already more often but do they understand what they need to do, that is the question.
Often dealers who do not understand this procedure simply tell "Not possible".

Last edited:

matara_7

Sep 18, 2017
I did a little research on the internet and it turns out that the third-party product called "NaviDroid" might be the "cheapest" and the "best" on budget option. Head unit looks almost exactly like ours and it runs Android 4.2.2. It costs around 550e + installation.

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
After installation and component protection bluetooth navigation voice command and full link will be disabled. I can do activation for retrofits.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members