VRSLOZ

Changing Sidelights Bulbs **GUIDE**

anthedge

May 13, 2008
I would say just concentrate now on finding some headlight bulbs that match and stop there. The money spent on bulbs could go on another mod...trust me...spent a fortune on my old Ibiza trying get sidelights/headlights right. Try not to sacrifice performance too much for the sake of styling. In my experience, the whiter/blue the bulb, the crapper the visability. Why I went in the end for the Philips Power2night GT150 bulbs. Good balance of performance and styling (blue tip to create subtle blue tint in reflection of headlight).

Deleted member 55317

ta very much for this guide SC16v and all the info on what lights to use ive put in the side light bulbs you recommended and they look great and no warning lights. ive also used osram night breaker plus headlights for dipped beam only (just now) and led license plate bulbs. Much happier with the look of the car now with crisp white lights not the old gritty yellow look :)

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Got a set of bulbs for christmas, just fitted them with great ease thanks to your guide sc16v (and cheers for the links)

just a note for the 1.6tdi drivers, the drivers side outer one is a tight fit thanks to something or other in the engine bay but can be done without removing the whole unit. (though tbh, if i had a set of torx keys i'd probably do that)

lefkon

Feb 7, 2011
so @sc16v could you tell me again what bulbs you finally used cause i got a bit lost with all those bulbs. also are your final bulbs LED? i see that one of the bulbs has a blue tinted glass. has anyone bought a bulb that hadn't blue glass? i dont like it when the lights are off but i might try it. also i have xenon lights for the dipped beam. will these bulbs much the xenon? and i also want to change the high beam bulbs so that it will much the xenon. any recommendations? oh. and also i found this while surfing. www.dectane.de/product_info.php?inf....html&XTCsid=19af337e48b1f4e7692920b345de257b
itt looks good. has anyone heard/used something like it?

anthedge

May 13, 2008
I have changed all bulbs (dipped, full, fogs and sidelights x 4) to ULTRA bulbs. Reasonably priced, good visability, E marked/road legal and they are WHITE, not yellowy-white like many others. Plus none are LED, so no fannying about with flickering/warning lights or sidelights dropping out in headlight (had bumper off 3 times!). My car is blue, so really like the blue sidelights when off. Really pleased with them after many wasted purchases!

lefkon

Feb 7, 2011
Could you please tell me what bulbs you used for fogs and high beam?? Maybe give me an eBay link?

anthedge

May 13, 2008
Fogs are HB4, full beam are H7. Do a search on eBay for 'ultra HB4' or 'ultra H7' . Lots of sellers do them.

lefkon

Feb 7, 2011
fogs and full beam have the bluetinted glass too? do you think they will look good on a white fr?

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Same as Anthedge, all ULTRA bulbs now, blue bulbs is a bit of a shame but rather have blue bulbs that shine White than clear that shine yellow. Should look good on the FR. I'd love some Dectane DRL lights but I've spoken with that company and they said they are strictly LHD only and are not thinking of bringing out a RHD version :(

day841

Any chance on finding those DRLs? Could get some like the bocanegra?

Alan Partridge

Unbelievable!
Mar 21, 2011
Carlisle
You're a God, SC. :worship:

Just to confirm, though... you have both the ULTRA bulbs in the outer and inner sidelights, right? Or do you have to have the CANBUS LED's as the inner and ULTRA as the outer to avoid the dash warnings etc?

EDIT: Scratch that, I've just realised your other thread further down confirming which bulbs you have. My first comment still stands, though!

Last edited:

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
Great guide mate :thumbup: I got the canbus led sidelights but haven't got them fitted yet. Glad I found this guide actually. Would love to know how using the led bulbs on the inside 2 bulbs and the Ultra bulbs on the outside 2 makes the error light stay off though?? Weird!

Anyway I've just purchsed a pair of the Ultra 501's so they'll match the rest of my Ultra headlights :thumbup: Just the fogs to be changed next

Did you have any difficulties getting the sidelights out first time round? I managed to snap one of the wee lugs on the plastic holder that holds them in :( hence why I came on here to check

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.