MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

Lii31

Jun 24, 2013
Hi
never heard of it referred to that way before! Never mind

Interesting if this is true, and not a photoshop

I am French too and I confirm that "transmission intégrale permanente" means 4WD. You can check it on French Wikipedia page for Transmission intégrale (http:/fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_intégrale).

But there is other people on French Leon forum who says that their contacts from Seat deny 4WD availability for future Seat Leon Cupra. Wait and see !

Balddee2

Oct 10, 2009
From that gallery:

leon-cupra-caracteristiques-techniques-cupra-big.jpg

This implies a 0 - 62 time of 5.1 for DSG and 5.4 for the manual, which would also indicate 4wd and would be fantastic if that's the case, here's hoping!!:rofl:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I would very much doubt that the new Cupra will be 4 wheel drive.
reasons
firstly the dealer network is so poor they wont be able to support warranty claims with a 4 wheel drive system , can you imagine the conversations with your dealer about a fault?

secondly the reason why the 0-60 times are quicker is down to the weight saving aluminium platform that is being used in the new MK7 Golf R , there are talks of between a 200-300 kg weight saving on the golf alone.
so i think that will be the fundemental reason why the Cupra wont have 4wd.

Balddee2

Oct 10, 2009
I would very much doubt that the new Cupra will be 4 wheel drive.
reasons
firstly the dealer network is so poor they wont be able to support warranty claims with a 4 wheel drive system , can you imagine the conversations with your dealer about a fault?

secondly the reason why the 0-60 times are quicker is down to the weight saving aluminium platform that is being used in the new MK7 Golf R , there are talks of between a 200-300 kg weight saving on the golf alone.
so i think that will be the fundemental reason why the Cupra wont have 4wd.

Recon, if being honest we all doubt it'll have 4wd, valid point re the dealer situ too, would be nice tho! However I don't believe even a 300 kg diet would enable a front wheel drive car to hit 0-60 in 5.1, that's the domain of rwd, 4wd or heavily modified fwd cars, the new S3 only gets down to 5.2 and that has the benefit of 4wd traction for the take off.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Recon, if being honest we all doubt it'll have 4wd, valid point re the dealer situ too, would be nice tho! However I don't believe even a 300 kg diet would enable a front wheel drive car to hit 0-60 in 5.1, that's the domain of rwd, 4wd or heavily modified fwd cars, the new S3 only gets down to 5.2 and that has the benefit of 4wd traction for the take off.

:yes:. I agree.

However with less weight, fast changes and probably with the help of a more advanced launch control and an LSD, it could be done. Pretty sure I managed low 5's in both my Mk2 Leon Cupra's when stripped, LSD fitted, interior out and with decent tyres.

In theory, with 265bhp, one super fast gear change to get to 60 or 62.5mph/100kph, approx 15% less weight than a manual Mk2 LCR, it could in theory lose the second from the Mk2 LCR's 0-60mph sprint time.

That said I'd love for it to be all wheel drive.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Not sure that's going to be the case for the new one though Mark. The numbers indicate more like £35k with nothing on it - unless I missed any announcement on prices?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Ahh, I was only going on the 'current' model, which RRP's at £30k and a bit

Forgot there was a new one coming

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Could be wrong but im sure i read the new S3 is going to be priced closer to £40k than £30k too. It will be interesting to see how the Mk7 Golf R is priced too - 3 year old Mk6 Golf R's still have asking prices of mid £20k used!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
It's not going to be 4wd !
Wish all you want lol
The vw group is not going to sanction a 4wd Cupra ,
No one is going to pay 28k plus for SEAT !
And they defiantly won't want SEAT stealing car sales away from VW or AUDi

It would be nice if it came true but never going to happen !

You can get currently 7% discount on new S3 that's the new shape one but Audi is increasing it's prices from July 1st and that's by getting the discount on line with car dealers and Audi have been matching the discounts.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Thanks - had a proper look at S3's now. £32k would get you a bare Sportback with DSG. Add on Tech and Comfort Packs for £2500 and the Mag Ride etc etc and your up to £35k less any discount you can negotiate.

I agree with you that the Leon Cupra is unlikely to be 4 wheel drive but those accelaration figures are pretty low on the Leon. If it was 4 wheel drive, £28k would get the car with DSG and any cool packs less say 15% online discount from a discount dealer, and you could pay £25k for a car with similar equipment levels I'm sure. Difference will lie in resale though when the Leon is worth £12k in 3 years and the S3/Golf R are still worth £25+k.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
And if the engine spec is the same, and the intercooler is different, as per the TFSi in the MK2 Leon/8P S3, a map, intercooler upgrade will get the performance thats missing for approx £1k, £400 or so of which would be for the intercooler.

Wish the specs would come out quicker.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.