Battery dead every morning ??

Fesleywox

Jan 28, 2015
My battery is dead most mornings .. I've been suffering this for the past fortnight. However I've noticed the radio comes on all by itself when I'm standing outside the car, randomly, without the key in the ignition and the doors locked? Sometimes as I open the boot but not all the time.

Does it sound like water damage somewhere?

My tail lights have condensation in them, like water has got in .. Could this cause a radio to come on due to a short ??

Any help appreciated.

Wes.

MantaOwner

Nov 28, 2015
Tallinn, Estonia
Get a test light and start by looking for a cause (useful part in video starts at around 3:37):
www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=GtJMHSY7hso

Tõnu

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Personally i would disconnect the radio for a few days and see if the battery holds its charge

Fesleywox

Jan 28, 2015
Personally i would disconnect the radio for a few days and see if the battery holds its charge

Exactly what I was thinking, trying to locate the fuse today but quite hard to find the fuse box diagram for 6j ?? Would you recommend I disconnect it another way ??

Fesleywox

Jan 28, 2015
Get a test light and start by looking for a cause (useful part in video starts at around 3:37):

Tõnu

Wow, that's an amazing troubleshooting video .. Thanks very much !!

Fesleywox

Jan 28, 2015
I didn't discover any drain, but have replaced the battery and it's been okay since last week. The radio has come on once randomly since when I opened the car with the key fob. The mechanic who replaced the battery said electrics can be funny with a dead battery, but it could also be an ignition pin getting stuck ?? So far so good with the new battery

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Tõnu

Remember that that video is only good for older cars that don't have "go to sleep" power sources, all modern cars have sequential shutdown of power sources, so at engine switch off and at car unlock, without anything else switched on, there will be a highish battery drain. After maybe 5 to 15 minutes, the drain will have dropped to about 50 milli amps.

Joe

Dec 29, 2013
Huddersfield, Yorkshire
Hello worth checking with your seat dealer I had the problem, where my battery would drain over night, took it to two different mechanics, did my own checks, new battery, etc! to no avail called my local dealer (huddersfield) as i'd heard about a recall on 3 door sc models due to battery drain issues they wouldn't have any of it until i agreed to get it checked over by them and pay, and if they found any recalls they will do it free of charge. Eventually they called me telling me they was a recall after they'd checked it over after denying it for a month. and it fixed the issue 100%

Also they didn't sit the rear spring back in the cup, so when i set off home it was knocking like mad, They insisted they had to by law carry out a 29 point check free of charge, any reason to have it on the ramps!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, and main dealers can't work out why some of us feel that we are getting a raw deal!

So far, my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza SC 1.4, has behaved since getting its battery replaced by me, but this could be due, in part to the weather this winter being "tame", so I have been using that car more than normal during the winter - other two cars have winter tyres so this Ibiza with its 215 17" tyres is best left alone if there is ice and summer about, plus it tends to get a snow wall built round it when the drive needs clearing (daughter is in KL!). I had already done all the correct checks, but this car, and maybe others, only had issues "now and again" - and then lots of issues continuously over a period of time, but never when I was keeping an eye on it!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
In the case of the late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V SC, it was what I had always considered it might be, an issue with incorrect BCM S/W, I eventually found or used a SEAT dealer that understood what I was going on about, and they checked that car for any other faults, found none and so requested technical support from SEAT. That ended up with SEAT confirming that there was a S/W patch or update available for cars with that problem. The S/W was down loaded and uploaded into that car's BCM and that sorted that problem out completely.

Maybe have a search for other threads covering this to avoid me repeating myself?

Edit:- like this one http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=442152 which is in the main section of this area of the forum.

This FAQs is really only meant for "forum controllers" to place the answers to Frequently Asked Questions to avoid huge numbers of threads being raised on a well known issue.

Another Edit:- after reading that linked thread, check if your car is in the range outlined in that thread.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members