Leon Cupra vs. Golf R vs. Audi S3 - sound

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
in the grand scheme of things a turbo charged 2 litre 4 pot is never going to sound great no matter what you do to it.

I have to disagree.

A turbocharged 2 litre 4 cylinder may not sound as good as a 6 cylinder, but some of them sound really good IMHO

Golf R
S3
A45
Even the Jag FType

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
I have to disagree.

A turbocharged 2 litre 4 cylinder may not sound as good as a 6 cylinder, but some of them sound really good IMHO

Golf R

S3

A45

Even the Jag FType

Don't forget a Leon ST Cupra with one of the silencers deleted

The rasp sounds closer to a six than a four imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
I'll have to take your word for that mate :D

Does that bring it inline with a 290 then?

From what I've heard yeah, much more similar to the 290 than the stock 280. Mate of mine said it sounded like an A45 t'other day.

Will have to try and get a video up on YouTube or something as I can't post videos on here

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
Where did you get the silencer removed? An how much did it cost? I want mine doing on my 280

Place called Longlife in Stockport. They did a great job and customer service was bob on. Did cost £100 though and to be honest I reckon you could get it done cheaper elsewhere. Trust these guys though so happy to pay the extra.

Liam0161

Apr 23, 2017
Manchester
Place called Longlife in Stockport. They did a great job and customer service was bob on. Did cost £100 though and to be honest I reckon you could get it done cheaper elsewhere. Trust these guys though so happy to pay the extra.

Cheers pal. Stockport is not too far from me so I I’ll have to get it done. New tyres is first on the list though.
Yes do try get a video up please

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
Cheers pal. Stockport is not too far from me so I I’ll have to get it done. New tyres is first on the list though.
Yes do try get a video up please

Just dashed a quick YouTube vid up. Audio only, headphones recommended blah blah blah.

Cold start and a few cheeky revs with DSG rev limiter. And before you tell me off yes I know it's not particularly sensible to rev from cold but hey, life's short

https://youtu.be/S2LMA3gUzbI

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
2 litre 4 cylinder Vs 3 litre 6 cylinder

Obviously the latter sounds better but the CUPRA doesn't sound bad at all.

https://youtu.be/tAW6k8x3Qno

It obviously helped that CUPRA went 1st :D

You can't beat a six can you It's a shame turbos rob so much purity from the sound though.

Very nearly got a MK5 Golf R32 a few years ago, purely for the engine/exhaust note. Bailed out at the last minute and went for a MK6 GTI but kinda wish I'd taken the plunge. Probably missed my chance to own a large capacity NA car now...

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
You can't beat a six can you It's a shame turbos rob so much purity from the sound though.

Very nearly got a MK5 Golf R32 a few years ago, purely for the engine/exhaust note. Bailed out at the last minute and went for a MK6 GTI but kinda wish I'd taken the plunge. Probably missed my chance to own a large capacity NA car now...

Certainly can't mate.
I must say that these sounds produced from is 4 cylinders are great. I'm not 100% sure on the soundaktor though.

But it's not until you hear a 5 or 6 that you realise that in comparison the 4 seems a little flat.

With what they have achieved with things like the A45 and even the 2.3l Ford RS (think they may have even put this in a Mustang)
I agree unless you are looking at things like the RS3.

Last edited:

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
the seat sounds weazy, poppy and a bit pathetic compared to that six cylinder in the bmw.

that is a great engine in that BMW and they are really quick. even standard. match for a stage 1 cupra. when mapped they are bonkers fast.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Certainly can't mate.
I must say that these sounds produced from is 4 cylinders are great. I'm not 100% sure on the soundaktor though.

But it's not until you hear a 5 or 6 that you realise that in comparison the 4 seems a little flat.

With what they have achieved with things like the A45 and even the 2.3l Ford RS (think they may have even put this in a Mustang)
I agree unless you are looking at things like the RS3.
I'm looking at a second-hand M2 for my next car - they sound lovely, even on the standard exhaust.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Fernando249

Dec 1, 2017
Manchester
the seat sounds weazy, poppy and a bit pathetic compared to that six cylinder in the bmw.

that is a great engine in that BMW and they are really quick. even standard. match for a stage 1 cupra. when mapped they are bonkers fast.

That may well be the case, but a stage 1 Cupra would be hard to keep up with in most situations on the public roads thanks to its front diff. A slightly greasy road and you'd need some serious cojones to keep up if you were in the Beemer.

In any case, deleting one of the silencers from the Cupra does liven things up considerably without adding any drone:

https://youtu.be/S2LMA3gUzbI

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury

The BMs are fantastic cars and I’m a real fan having had 130’s, M3s etc in the past, great sounding engines. Interestingly my 280 with a light stage 1 map was exactly the same pace in a straight line as a mapped and modified (FMIC, Exhaust etc) “400” bhp M135... on track and repeated lots. :) Now the Cupra has had the full remap with DSG it feels a bit more in the direction of bonkers fast :D

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
May be a silly question but if you remove a silencer do you need to inform your insurance company?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.