Reasonance between 65-80mph

Goggles76

Oct 1, 2016
I have a resonating sound, but mine starts a little lower, perhaps from 50mph onwards, getting progressively more frequent the faster you go. Very annoying on motorway miles.

For me, i'm 90% sure it's the wheel bearing. (Tell me if i'm wrong!) I hit a gigantic pot hole a few months ago, which threw the alignment out of whack. I got that fixed that but since then have noticed this annoying resonating sound coming from the same side. ( Near-Side Front ) It's on my to do list.

..I do also have 18inch rims.

That sounds similar to my issue except it starts at 60. I'm on titanium 18" wheels. Booked in for service on Friday and I've asked dealer to investigate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
Have you jacked it up and spun the wheel? Any bearing noise? Is the wheel/tyre running true and round?

My mechanic a while ago tried and said no problems when I mentioned the noise in passing. Although he did say he can't 'hand spin the wheels at 60mph' to see if there's a problem. Not particularly helpful!

That sounds similar to my issue except it starts at 60. I'm on titanium 18" wheels. Booked in for service on Friday and I've asked dealer to investigate.

Any luck?

I've just had a set of 4 new Pilot Sports added to mine, so I know 100% it's not the tyres.

The sound gets progressively worse from 50mph+. I'll try and get a sound recording done at some point.

Last edited:

Goggles76

Oct 1, 2016
My mechanic a while ago tried and said no problems when I mentioned the noise in passing. Although he did say he can't 'hand spin the wheels at 60mph' to see if there's a problem. Not particularly helpful!

Any luck?

I've just had a set of 4 new Pilot Sports added to mine, so I know 100% it's not the tyres.

The sound gets progressively worse from 50mph+. I'll try and get a sound recording done at some point.

Dealer said no issue after taking it for a long test drive. Strangely though I had a puncture in one of the new tyres, gutted I was, and had to have another new tyre. The noise has now reduced, still there a little so I think that the tyres are just much more noisy at certain speeds than the previous Bridgestones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.