How to wash your car

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
I've had a few PM now regarding this, and can't keep typing this out so here's a walk through :D

Equipment required:
2 x buckets
2 x washing mitts
4 inch sponge
1 x hose with gun attachment
1 x pressure washer (optional)
1 x shampoo
1 x MF cloth for drying

Process:

Add the recommended amount of shampoo to the bucket and add the required warm water. (adding too much or too little is equally wasteful). Now fill the second bucket with just warm water.

Rinse the car using either a pressure washer or a hose. Try to use a trigger gun if using a hose and rinse the car from roof down. Pay particular attention to the areas that are subject to the highest volumes of contamination (sills, wheel arches etc).

Using the first wash mitt dip the mitt into the first bucket containing the shampoo. Clean ¼ of the roof section, ensuring to work in straight lines. DO NOT scrub, or use circular motions. Once you have completed this section, submerge the mitt into the second bucket and shake to release any dirt/grit. Dip back into the shampoo mixture and clean the next ¼ section. Then rinse in the clear water before moving to next roof section. Continue with this process until the upper half of the car is clean.

Then rinse out the first mitt and leave to dry in a clean place. Using the second mitt, follow the same process as above, and clean the lower sections. Remember to work cleanest areas first and complete dirtiest last. This ensures the shampoo mixture remains as clean as possible. Once all the paintwork is completed, rinse out the second mitt and store. Make sure to know which mitt is upper body panels and lower. Never use the lower panel mitt on upper panels. As time passes you will find the lower panel mitt will need replacing before the upper.

Now rinse the whole car free of shampoo. To do this, either just an open ended hose, or a shower type trigger spray. ‘Water chase’ the water from roof down, following the flow until you reach the lower sills.

Using the first bucket and the 4 inch sponge clean the front alloys/trims and rinse. Empty the bucket contents. Using the second bucket (this will now have sufficient shampoo from rinsing the wash mitts in it, clean the rear wheels, rinse and empty bucket contents.

Fill one bucket with warm water. Using a MF cloth (ideal are Meguiars Water Magnet (£10 ish), dry the car from roof down. If the cloth gets any dirt whatsoever on it, rinse in the bucket and ring dry.

If the MF cloth does become dirty over time, wash in the machine, on 40 degrees, with no softener, powder only.

I hope this helps everyone?

Regards

Iain

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Thanks Iain thats a get help, thanks for the version copy too...

Now just need to call you and go thou, "how to rid your black car of swirl marks, volume 1" lol

Also do you know any detailers in the essx area at all?

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Iain, Ive bloody looked everywhere for that Hose Attachment, with the Shampoo Canister attachment. Ebay/Halfords/Garden Centres/ etc...... Cmmon give me some more clues ???

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Im not a fan of the pressure washer (as its seems to be a bit violent) whats the pros and cons of using one? Im currently just using a hose (well a bucket due to the shortage!) But im wondering if it would be advisabel to take the car too the jet wash (the DIY one) and giveing it a blast off before i start with the buckets.

Ow by the way i replied to your thread on DW if no one gets back to you

JKing

Cupra-R
Aug 9, 2003
Mansfield, Notts
photobucket.com
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hosecoil-Suds...itemZ8047083747QQcategoryZ72201QQcmdZViewItem

there you go mate, got mine from these guys.

Work's well, pic of mine:

Blaster.jpg

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Wooo Hoooo Thanks very much M8.

Right, who can recommend a soapy product that will cover the car in thick suds, ready for washing

JKing

Cupra-R
Aug 9, 2003
Mansfield, Notts
photobucket.com
:D I'm trying to educate my friends and relatives. Hard work though but I'm getting there. Having an afternoon session with the PC on mine this weekend. Poorboys SSR2.5, Autoglym SRP, Megs NXT tech wax and maybe some AG EGP.

FriarFR

Jul 3, 2005
Hampshire
at risk of changing the subject slightly, how should you wash your car if, like a lot of us down here, you've got a hosepipe ban to contend with.......?

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
FinerDetails said:
must be you mate, you saw mine being demo'd, so what you doing wronmg me ole spack

I mean with the snow foam, i think the power of the hose is not strong enough, it creates a small lathering but nothing like from the Jet Wash !!!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members